#2 Mysterious Amulet - Yin and Yang

•  
  • 475
  • 7
  • 4
My friend didn’t go to Thailand, but when my friend heard that lady was going to the nation to buy Buddha amulets, she asked the lady to bring one. To be precise, it was “to invite” rather than “to buy,” because it would be impolite to say “‘buy’ a Buddha.”

When that lady arrived at the temple, my friend texted some basic personal information such as her birth date and gender to her. The monks divined her future, chose the most suitable Buddha, cast a spell on a piece of red silk, and covered it on the amulet.

“How much is this amulet?” I asked.

“500 US dollars,” that lady replied.

“Wow, that’s expensive!” I exclaimed.

My friend said calmly, “It’s worth the price. Buddhas are priceless! This is such a precious Yang amulet.”

Surprised, I asked her, “Yang? There must be Yin amulets.”

“You’re right,” she said. Then, she explained to me what were Yang amulets and Yin amulets.

Yang was the active cosmic principle in Chinese dualistic philosophy. Yang amulets carried force given by gods. You’d better wear them, say, little Buddhas, medallions, above your waist, or simply hang them around your neck as necklaces, the reason being that in this way they can easily absorb Yang elements, say, the sun, from the universe.

Yin represented the passive/hidden cosmic principle in Chinese dualistic philosophy. A Yin amulet carried a component of a monk's corpse, for instance, a dead body’s hair, bones, teeth, relics remained after cremation etc.

Mouth agape, I asked, “Isn’t it scary to carry a dead body’s part on yourself all the time?”

My friend cut in, “Hush… You idiot! You have no idea how many Hong Kong celebrities and billionaires wear Yin amulets!”

It turned out that many people believed Yin amulets were very efficacious - even more so than Yang amulets, because gods’ love tended to be philanthropic and it wasn’t that easy to collect enough Yang elements that floated around universe, while the ghost you carried with yourself was exclusively protecting you, or bringing you luck and wealth. But, watch out! Sometimes, you had to give because you took. The life of someone who wore a Yin amulet was likely to be shortened, because s/he had to use his/her life to nourish the ghost. Besides, you was supposed to wear Yin amulets below your waist; otherwise, it would occupy your whole body.

Some Chinese people believed in these amulets, but China wasn’t a strict Buddhist nation, so they went to Thailand, where they believed there were more experts.
我朋友这次没去泰国,当她听到那位妹子要去泰国,她要求她帮她买个佛牌。准确的说,是请佛牌。因为说买佛牌非常不礼貌。

那个妹子到了庙里,我朋友就把她一些基本个人信息发给那个妹子,比如出生日期,性别等等。庙里的和尚占卜了一下,选了一个最合适的佛牌,在一块红布上施了魔法,然后盖在佛牌上。

“这个多少钱啊?”我问道。

“500美元。”那个位子说道。

“哇,好贵啊!”我惊呼道。

我朋友淡淡地说道:“值这个价钱呢。佛像是无价的。这是一个非常宝贵的阳牌。”

我很惊讶地问道:“阳牌?那岂不是还有阴牌。”

“说对了。”她答道。然后,她就给我解释,什么是阳牌和阴牌。

“阳”是中国阴阳二元哲学中,代表正能量的一方。阳牌带着神仙们赐予的能量。戴阳牌(比如小佛像,挂坠)时,最好是携带在上半身,或者直接挂在脖子上。原因是,这样的话,阳牌就能吸收阳元素,比如阳光之类的。

“阴”代表了中国阴阳二元哲学中负能量或者隐蔽的一方。阴牌带有他人过世留下的物体,比如头发,骨头,牙齿,舍利子等。

我目瞪口呆,问道:“天啊!随身携带那些东西,岂不是?”

我朋友打断了我,说道:“嘘。你知道个鬼!好多香港明星和富人都带着阴牌呢!”

原来,很多人相信阴牌很灵,甚至有时候比阳牌更灵。因为神灵是博爱的,要收集足够的阳气没那么容易,但是召来的灵魂却能专门保护你,给你带来财富和好运。但是,要小心了。既然有收获,那么就会有付出。戴阴牌的人有时候会折寿。因为要用生命去养育它。戴牌的时候,也要戴在腰下的部分,不然它会侵占你的身体。

一些中国人信这些佛牌,但中国现在已经不是一个佛教氛围浓厚的国家了,所以他们会去泰国,因为那里可能有更多的专家。

————————————————————————————

#1 Mysterious Amulet - A Small Buddha

Tonight, a former classmate, treated me to dinner at a downtown restaurant. When we got there, the place was already packed. Lines of people were waiting outside. We took a number printed out of a machine. Our number revealed that there were a dozen or so customers waiting for “small tables.” We estimated that it would take us at least half an hour to be seated, so my friend suggested going out to kill time, since a message would be sent to her phone when it was our turn.

We had hardly gotten out of the restaurant when she grabbed me and said, “I’m taking you to a beauty shop!”

Puzzled, I said, “I’m not going. I’m not interested in hairdressing and beauty stuff, at all. Those are you ladies’ things!”

She laughed and said, “Come on! A friend got me a mysterious gift from Thailand. She’s waiting for me at the shop.”

When we got there, my friend took out her phone to call her mysterious friend. After her a few words into the phone, a lady sitting in a corner with a mask on her face started waving at us. When we got closer to her, that lady said loudly, “Wow, you are more beautiful than your profile pic!”

I thought, “Are you ladies meeting for the first time?”

Then, the lady drew a red package out of her handbag. She carefully lifted a red handkerchief that had been covering a little transparent box, in which sat a small Buddha. Ah, it was an amulet!

“Is this the first time you've met her?” I asked my friend.

“Yeah, it’s the first time in person. Previously, we only on Wechat,” She said. “You know what, this amulet’s very very special. She FaceTimed with me the whole process of getting it out of a temple.”

I scratched my head and held my breath for her story.