The Czech Republic

•  
  • 1030
  • 6
  • 5
Today, one of my colleagues set off for Europe. He’s going to travel to Germany and the Czech Republic. Actually, his trip is mainly to the Czech Republic and he’s just going to transfer in Germany. He said that he was going to stay in Prague for more than a week. I’m so jealous because I’ve never been to Europe before. But the incidents constantly reported in Chinese media during the past few years of many Chinese tourists being robbed in France and Italy put a damper on my desire to go to Europe.

Moments ago, I happened to see a news article saying that a Czech auto maker is planning to enter the Chinese market. The article adds that Sino-Czech relations have been very good thoughout the past century. Back in the 1950s, as a Communist nation, Czechoslovakia was among the first nations to acknowledge the PRC’s permanent membership in the United Nations. Even when it later turned into a capitalist nation, the Czechs invariably supported the PRC. For example, the president of the Czech Republic was the only European leader present at a military parade in Beijing two years ago. The president also went to Nanjing to lay a wreath at the Nanjing Massacre museum in honor of the people who died during the Rape of Nanking. The article also briefly introduces the history of the Czech Republic and says it was constantly invaded by its neighboring powers.

It sounds like the Czech Republic is an interesting country. I’m looking forward to my colleague sharing his "bearable-lightness-of-traveling" experiences when he returns. :-)

[Revised]

今天我一个同事启程去欧洲。他要去德国和捷克。他其实主要是去捷克,途径德国而已。据说他要在布拉格待一个多星期。我羡慕嫉妒恨(idiom),因为我从未去过欧洲。近年来,中国媒体反复报道中国游客在欧洲被抢劫事件,浇灭了我去欧洲的决心。

就在刚刚,我恰好看到一篇新闻报道,说捷克某汽车公司打算进入中国市场。文章说中捷关系一个世纪以来一直很友好。上世纪50年代,作为共产主义阵营的国家,捷克是第一批承认中国在联合国常任理事国地位的国家。即使后来成为了一个资本主义国家,捷克仍然很支持中国。比如,两年前,捷克总统是参加北京阅兵仪式唯一的欧洲领导人。他后来还去了南京大屠杀纪念馆献花圈,悼念大屠杀中死去的民众。文章还简要地介绍了捷克的历史,过去经常被强大的邻国侵略。

听起来,捷克是一个很有意思的国家。我期待我同事回国后,跟我分享他的“旅行能承受之轻”的有趣经历。