An Enjoyable Time in a Library

•  
  • 455
  • 8
  • 3
Today, I went to a library in my city to return my overdue books and pay the fines. I was glad to see that the library was packed with people reading, checking out books, and researching. Chinese media say that, according to statistics, most Chinese people don’t read. It’s true. Most of us read little after graduating from school, either because we're fed up with reading and cramming for exams at school, or because what we’re most interested in is making money.

In recent years, the government has been investing in library infrastructure, in order to promote public reading. There’s indeed been an improvement. The libraries in cities are very modern. Few librarians are needed, because the process of borrowing and returning books is automatic. In addition, the comfortable environment has attracted a growing number of people. Today, I saw people of all ages in there. I was even surprised to witness several pairs of young parents pushing their baby carriages along the aisles between bookshelves.

After I returned my economics books, I went up to the foreign literature section on the fourth floor and stopped at the English magazine section. I drew out several copies of “The New Yorker”, went to the reading room, sat at a desk (with a superb river view lol), and started reading. Holy shit! The articles are beautifully written! These folks can really write!

When I was in university, I would read some English literature. My favorite English writer is George Orwell. I was impressed with his witty, sarcastic language. Surprisingly, “Animal Farm” is not banned here. Haha. But later I tried to avoid reading works written many years ago, for fear of inadvertently learning unnatural sentences or obsolete words. After graduating from university, I read very little, but now I've decided to read more in the future. I’m thinking about borrowing best-sellers such as “A Song of Ice and Fire” in a few days.

Who is your favorite writer? What are your favorite book, and favorite magazine?
今天,我去了市图书馆。借的书过期了,要交罚款。图书馆里很多人看书,查书,借书。国内媒体说,根据统计,中国人不爱读书。确实如此。从学校毕业后,很多人不太爱看书了,也许是因为在学校的时候,读书考试过头了,丧失了读书的兴趣,也许是因为大多数人只关心赚钱。

近年来,ZF投入了更多的资金建设读书馆,提倡公众阅读。这些举措确实有成效,城市里的图书馆非常地现代化,都不需要太多工作人员,因为借书还书的过程是全自动化的。另外,舒适的阅读环境也吸引了很多的人前往图书馆读书。今天我看到有各个年龄阶层的人,上到老人,下到小孩,泡在图书馆里。甚至还看到有一些年轻的父母,推着婴儿车游走在书架之间。

我还了我借的经济学书籍之后,上楼去4楼的外国文学层,找到了英文杂志区。我拿出几本《纽约客》杂志,走到阅读室一个靠窗的位置读了起来(窗外是美丽的江景,哈哈)。我去!这些文章写得真好!这些人真能写!!

我读大学的时候,会读一些英文书。我最喜欢的英文作家是乔治·奥威尔。他的机智,反讽的文笔深深地吸引了我。但是后来,我极力避免去读很多年前的文学作品了,因为我担心会学到过时的语言。毕业后,我读书很少,不过我打算以后多看书,最近我打算去买几本《冰与火之歌》来阅读。