Guns! Guns! Guns!

•  
  • 769
  • 1
  • 2
I’m so sorry to hear the news that a gunman killed 49 people in Orlando. Chinese official media reported it sensationally, as it does usual, trying to hint that the US is a perilous country to live in. Anti-American netizens deride, “Isn’t that a nation that advocates freedom? People get slaughtered! ” The bane seems to be civilian rights to bear arms.

Truly, in the eyes of Chinese people, the US is an unsafe country. A Chinese guidebook to NYC told me to “stay away from Brooklyn at night!”, because there is gang violence, robbery, rape, rampant drug use, or whatever to make that district hazardous. Last year in LA, when I decided to take a walk outside after dinner, my uncle said to me, “Although it’s a very safe neighborhood, I hope you come back early.” When I visited a market in Omaha, I was surprised to find a gun section.

I felt a bit uncomfortable while traveling in the US. There are many problems in China, but it is way safer than in the US, and we don’t have to constantly worry about security issues.

However, those Chinese netizens don’t seem to know that there is such a thing as the 2nd Amendment. The right to own guns is one of those fundamental values that Americans don’t want to screw with. To change it would require a majority vote in both the House and Senate. If it was to be amended, other values would be open to modification by extension, too. They believe that the Bill of Rights the founding fathers drafted hundreds of years ago serves as the basic social fabric that shaped the most powerful country in history.

I appreciate American culture very much. But I doubt sometimes that, when there is little sign of gun control, with the growing ethnic and religious diversity in the US, when violent conflicts occur, how could it be possible for the society to prevent possible gun rampages? We have an old Chinese saying that “People know manners when the warehouses are loaded.” It’s apparent that the US is an affluent nation, and most of citizens obey laws. What if an economic recession hits the country again in the future and there is a breakdown in law and order, which allows vandalism or mass killing to sprout and eventually go into full swing across the nation? Someone dosen’t have to use guns to decimate people, but guns make it a lot easier.
危险的枪支

美国奥兰多发生了一起枪杀案,49人丧生。听到这则消息,我非常难过。中国媒体和以往一样大肆宣传,暗示美国是一个危险的国度。有些网友也讥讽道,这不是那个提倡自由的国家吗?人们怎么会被肆意杀害?问题的根源好像都在于枪支。

的确,在中国人眼里,美国变成了一个非常危险的国家。纽约的中文攻略书中说道,晚上千万别逗留在布鲁克林,因为该地区团伙暴力,抢劫,强奸,毒品问题非常严重。去年我在洛杉矶的时候,吃完晚饭我想出门走走,大伯对我说,“这里虽然很安全,但你最好早点回来。”在奥马哈,我也很惊奇地发现超市有卖枪支的区域。

在美国,我确实感到有点不适应。中国虽然有很多问题,但还是比美国要安全,我们也不必时时刻刻地关注安全问题。.

当然,那些中国网民不会明白。美国有“宪法第二修正案”,允许人们拥有枪支。如果要修改这一条,那么其他的美国核心价值观也要颠覆。他们并不愿意这样做。修正案还要通过参众两院。他们认为美国国父们起草的BOR是他们国家强大的社会基础。

我欣赏美国文化。但是,如果一点点枪支管制的迹象都没有的话,随着美国宗教、民族日益多样化,如果发生暴力冲突,谁能保证不会出现一些滥用枪支的害群之马。中国有句古话:“仓廪实而知礼节。”我承认美国是一个富裕国家,大部分遵守法律规则。但是假设美国以后发生一次经济大萧条,谁能保证社会秩序不受破坏,从而导致大规模的暴力事件呢?杀人犯罪并不一定需要枪支,但却是最容易的方式。