(1/2) Depression

•  
  • 245
  • 17
  • 4
Years ago, the news that a well-known Chinese comedian had suffered from depression and committed suicide aroused my curiosity about depression, so I did a bit of search online. I used to think that people with depression tend to be very touchy and won’t stop fussing around. They must like to torture himself, sometimes even to the extent of committing suicide. It turns out that this isn’t quite the case.

Depression, in a sense, is an illness like many other diseases such as diabetes and cancer. The malfunctioning part of the body in someone with depression is the brain. The patient also has to take medication. Medical research has found that the brains of people with depression act differently from those of people without depression.

The chances of getting depressed vary from person to person. Some people are more susceptible to be depressed because of their genes. Some people are prone to suffering depression because of their temperament, whether due to genes or experience. Certain things trigger and contribute to their depression, but we can never know how much they've gone through and how they've perceived things. We simply aren’t them.

(In China,) Just because you only hear about cases of depression only in the news doesn’t mean the people with depression are few and not around you. It's a major public health problem. In China, there are untold millions who are suffering from this disease. At least two Chinese Lang-8 friends of mine have written entries here saying that they are dealing with depression. When I searched Weibo (China’s Twitter) and Zhihu (China's Quora) for discussions about depression, I was shocked to find that hundreds of thousands of users are struggling with it, and some of them have even gone so far as to attempt suicide. Many of them said that they hated it most when some snobs said things along the lines of “Why don’t you look on the bright side?” and “Why are you so emotionally weak?”.

[Revised]
几年前,我得知一位中国著名的相声演员得了抑郁症自杀,一时好奇,就去网上去搜什么是抑郁症。我原以为,得抑郁症的人肯定易怒,而且多愁善感,喜欢自作多情。这些人肯定也喜欢自我折磨,到了要自杀的程度。结果事情并不是这样。

从某种意义上来说,抑郁症和糖尿病、癌症一样,都是疾病,只是不正常的身体部位是大脑。得抑郁症的人也要看医生吃药,医学研究发现,得抑郁症的人大脑活动和行为也和正常人有所不同。

得抑郁症的几率因人而异。有一些人天生易得,因为基因如此。有一些人因为性格的原因,也容易得,但这些性格有时候是天生的,也有一些是后天环境造成的,但你又不是他们,又怎么知道他们的痛苦呢?

如果你只是在媒体上看到过有人得抑郁症,这并不意味着得抑郁症的人少,也不在你身边。抑郁症已经成为了社会上的一个常见的心理健康问题。中国有百万人患有程度不一的抑郁症,只是没有说出来而已。Lang-8上,我至少有两个中国朋友,在文章里写道他们正在和抑郁症做抗争。当我在微博和知乎上搜相关话题时,发现有数十万用户正在和抑郁争作斗争。很多患者说,他们非常讨厌有一些人自以为是,说什么“为什么不看开一点?”“死都不怕,还怕活吗?”“为什么你这么脆弱。”