(1/2) 1408 and Stephen King

•  
  • 201
  • 19
  • 5
Today a friend of mine treated me to dinner. He lives in an expensive condo at the urban center. Near his apartment building is a huge commercial complex where there are many high-end restaurants and beauty salons.

After dining out at a Japanese restaurant, my friend suggested that we see a movie. I checked on my phone to see if there was any new movie on, but found none. My friend then said he knew a nice private cinema that exclusively showed old movies, and led the rest of us into a vintage parlor tucked away in that commercial compound.

The cinema’s design was pretty retro, with a few decorative movie reels and record players placed next to the counter where customers fetched their espressos, and a painted mural on the back wall, from which Audrey Hepburn were beaming down at the patrons passing by. Anyways, this place was a good escape from the bustling crowds outside. I joked that only the rich living in this upscale neighborhood would like to squander money on watching these old movies that the poor like me would download and watch on computers.

The four of us all agreed to see a horror movie and a staff member recommended 1408. We’d never heard of the film but accepted that, because the movie had gotten a 7.6 out of 10 on Douban, a famous Chinese movie-review website, meaning that it was basically not bad.

We went into a well air-conditioned room, flopped back on a wide chintz sofa, and started watching. The movie turned out to be a 2007 American psychological horror film, which told the story of an unsuccessful thriller writer who explored allegedly haunted houses across the US and ended up dead in a room on which he set a fire.
今天一位朋友请我吃晚饭。他住在市中心的一个房价高的地方。他的公寓楼附近是一个巨大的商业综合体,里面有许多高端餐馆和美容院。

我们在一家日本餐厅吃饭,饭后我的朋友建议去看电影。我查了查手机,看看有没有新电影上映,结果没有。然后我的朋友说他知道一个专放老电影的私人电影院,于是把我们带到了一个古色古香的房间里。

电影院的装饰很复古,顾客可以在前台上取浓郁的意式咖啡,柜台旁边有几台装饰用的电影卷轴机和老式唱片机,墙壁有一幅彩绘,赫本对着往来的顾客笑容满面。这个地方格调不错,是一个躲避外面熙熙攘攘人群的清净好去处。我开玩笑说,只有住在这个高档社区里的富人才愿意花钱观看这些老电影,像我这样的屌丝只会在网上免费下载看。

我们一行四人都同意看恐怖片,工作人员给我们推荐了《1408》。虽然我们从未听过这部电影,但也接受了建议,因为这部电影在豆瓣评分有7.6,意味着它基本上不会太差。

于是,我们走进一间空调房,往宽敞的沙发上一躺,就开始看起了电影。这部电影原来是一部2007年的美国心理恐怖片,内容是一个三流作家为了写书,在美国各地探秘鬼屋,结果死在自己放的一把火里。