#4 The Second Stupid Public Speaking Gig - Learning Experience

•  
  • 489
  • 6
  • 4
I tried to use Q&A and games with presents to make people stay. When the event hit the one hour mark, I attempted to insert interesting information into my speech. I’d expected people to be interested in this and consider it useful. I also elaborately embedded advertising into it. However, people had all dispersed gradually before I finished my speech, which was quite daunting. So, I had to invite the dance group back onto the stage, in order to attract a new crowd. I couldn’t have just talked to nobody, could I?

Besides, there was one thing about marketing that I’d learnt in this activity - inducements work. During the long break between speeches, we staged a game that successfully attracted lines of people. In the past, we used to give the customers small gifts like ball pens, umbrellas, etc., if they filled out our questionnaires. They either took the presents for granted, or turned their noses up at them. But this time, we set up a big board with a dozen hoops of varying size on it. People should stand 3 meters away from the board and hit shuttlecocks through the hoops. The smaller the hoop was, the bigger the present would be. The biggest was worth thousands of yuan. They really liked to try this, even if they were asked to fill out a form first. And the board was covered with many colorful advertising signs.

I don’t like MC tasks at all, because I prefer not to stand out. However, if I’m obliged to do this, I think I’d better pluck up my courage and try to make the best of it. After all, I can learn something from it and it’s no use resenting it. In the past, I tended to ignore noisy activities like this whenever I was in a shopping mall, but next time, I will stop by and observe them, in order to learn anything that might improve my skills.
在活动中,我努力用有奖问答和游戏环节,让人们留下来。进行了一个多小时候,我试着在我的演讲中插入一些知识,希望听众有兴趣或者觉得有用。当然,我还精心地植入了一些广告。谁知,还没讲完,人群便散开了,让人泄气。所以,我不得不又请上舞蹈团队上台,再吸引一批新的观众。我总不能对着空气讲话吧。

另外,我还在这个活动中学到了一点商业活动技巧。想得到却难以得到的东西便是最好的。以前,顾客在填写调差问卷之类的东西后,可以得到我们的小礼物,比如圆珠笔、雨伞之类的东西。但他们要么想当然是应该的,要么觉得礼品小而嗤之以鼻。这次,我们竖了一块板,上面有大小不一的洞。顾客需要在3米外把羽毛球打入这些洞。洞越小,奖品越贵。最贵的值人民币数千元。他们非常乐意尝试,即便要填表才能参加。板子上也画了不少的广告。

我其实一点也不喜欢主持之类的任务。我喜欢安静的生活。但是,如果我被布置了这样的任务,我只能调动自己的积极性,努力做好。毕竟,我还是可以从中学到不少东西的,心中含有怨气也没有什么用。以前,我在商场里面,从来都不会去凑这些活动的热闹,但以后我停下来观摩观摩,看有没有什么好的经验可以学习,从而提升我的能力。