Powdered Infant Formula is the Best Present

•  
  • 439
  • 4
  • 3
Last year, when I was buying up all the infant formula at a Walmart in Lincoln, Nebraska, a local saw it and said, “It seems like you have a bunch of kids.” Actually, I haven't even gotten married. Forcing a smile, I said, “I bought them for colleagues and friends back in China.” Apparently, she didn’t know that, for most Chinese people, when they travel overseas and decide to bring something back home for their friends, infant formula has become the preferred gift.

Several years ago, almost every dairy company in China was reported to be involved in a melamine scandal. Their products were proved to have been contaminated with this chemical and reportedly sickened thousands of infants. The public panic over the quality of milk powder broke out and Chinese parents started to purchase it from abroad for their babies. From then on, milk powder from countries like the Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia, etc. became ubiquitous and popular on shelves in supermarkets or online shops.

So, when a Chinese person visits these countries, he or she tends to be requested by his or her friends to buy dairy products for them. It is said that all the milk powder in a supermarket can be quickly sold out after Chinese people visit it. The local residents end up having no chance to buy any and protest. Therefore, the supermarkets in these places have to limit the amount each shopper can purchase.

It will take many years for Chinese consumers to regain their confidence in the domestic dairy industry. In the foreseeable future, milk powder will still be the best present.

我去年在内布拉斯加州的林肯扫货奶粉的时候,有个年轻妇女问我:“哇,你好像有很多孩子!”其实我连婚都没结,单身汉一个,只好苦笑答道:“这些奶粉都是帮我同事和朋友带的。
几年前,几乎所有的中国乳业企业都卷入了三聚氰胺丑闻。媒体报道毒奶粉导致数千“大头”婴儿。中国的父母们开始恐慌,开始购买国外的奶粉。从那以后,超市、网上商城里都摆满了国外产的奶粉。
所以,如果一个中国人去国外,身边的朋友肯定让他们带奶粉回国。据说,只要中国人到一个超市,奶粉都会马上卖完,导致当地的居民买不到奶粉,因此抗议。所以超市不得不采取限额控制。
中国的父母们重建对国产奶粉的信心估计还要好几年。所以,以后数年,奶粉仍然是最好的礼物。