US: Online Marketplaces V.S. Retail Stores

•  
  • 311
  • 11
  • 4
Today I read a news article about the fact that many American youths tend to purchase things online such as on Amazon rather than in brick-and-mortar stores. The biggest reason is that most retail stores sometimes mark up the prices. Under the news article, there are heated discussions. There is a thread that I don’t quite understand.

“An acquaintance's wife is banned from the Walmart here because they caught on to a scam she was pulling on them. I don't know if they still do it but they used to match the price for goods if you found a better deal online, so she would use Amazon and pretend to be a seller and make very low prices for the thing she wanted and go and show Walmart and get it for that price. Probably lucky all she got was banned, that's gotta be illegal somehow..”

The part I don’t quite get is “pretend to be a seller and make very low prices for the thing she wanted and go and show Walmart and get it for that price.”

Is there a match-up policy in the US? If so, that would be very interesting! We don’t have that kind of policy in China. But why is the aforementioned act illegal?
今天我看了一则新闻,说是美国年轻人一般会在网上买东西,不怎么去实体店了。最重要的原因是,很多实体店乱标价,高于网上许多。在新闻下面,有很热烈的讨论。其中有一条看不太懂。

“pretend to be a seller and make very low prices for the thing she wanted and go and show Walmart and get it for that price.”

美国有这种价格匹配策略吗?可以货比三家,然后让卖家以最低价格成交?如果真是这样,很有意思。但为什么上述行为违法呢?