(1/2) SE Asia or the US?

•  
  • 344
  • 8
  • 3
I haven’t used my annual leave yet. I originally planned to go to Southeast Asia and enjoy the sun there, because it’s becoming colder and colder here. I just couldn’t decide which country. Thailand? The Philippines? They both seemed to be good choices to me because these two countries both have amazing foods and beaches.

However, one of my coworkers who was applying for a US visa recently twisted my arm and tried to persuade me to go on a trip to the US with him. I replied that I didn’t want to go to LA because I’d been there twice already so I’d gotten bored with it. But my coworker has never been to LA, the most popular metropolis among Chinese tourists. If he were to go, like most Chinese people, he would like to visit the Walk of Fame which I swore I’d never visit again, because it seemed to be nothing more than a narrow, dirty road to me. But I just couldn’t spoil his fun by telling him not to go, could I?

Most Chinese tourists travel in the US via package tours. There are typically two routes: “Western America” and “Eastern America.” The former is more popular because of the much shorter flight time. Generally, the cities on the “Western America” itinerary include San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas, so basically the part of America the tourists visit is California and a bit of Nevada. Since many tourist travel to the US only once in their lives, most of them come back with the impression that America is arid. :-P

The “Eastern America” itinerary typically includes the New York City, Boston, Washington DC and perhaps the Niagara Falls. Aside from the Empire State Building and the Capitol, some prestigious universities such as Harvard and MIT are must-sees on the tourists’ lists. You should never underestimate Chinese people’s zeal for top-ranked universities. Many of them travel as families, so the parents want to show their kids how great the campuses are in order to encourage them to work hard. For the same reason, don’t be surprised if you find Stanford is also a must-see on the “Western America” itinerary.

[Edited]
我今年的年假还没用,我最初打算去东南亚度假。因为这里越来越冷,我想去东南亚的海岛享受夏日阳光。我不知道选哪个国家。泰国?菲律宾?都是好选择,两个国家都有美味的食物和漂亮的海滩。

我有一个同事正在申请美国签证,拉着我一定要去美国。但我说我不想去洛杉矶,因为去过两次了,有点审美疲劳。但是我那位同事从来没有去过洛杉矶,而洛杉矶是中国旅客最喜欢去的城市。如果他要去洛杉矶,像大多数中国人一样,他会去星光大道,但是我真的不想去第二次了,因为星光大道其实就是一条又脏又窄的街道而已。但我又不能让他扫兴,不让他去吧。

很多中国人去美国都是团队游。总的来说,有两条经典线路,美西和美东。去美西的游客多一些,因为飞行时间短得多。美西旅游线路主要是旧金山、洛杉矶、圣地亚哥和拉斯维加斯。所以,其实这些旅客就只去了加州和一点点内华达州,由于他们很多人一生只去一次美国,所以美国留给他们的印象是很干燥。美东路线的话,主要是包括纽约,波士顿,华盛顿,可能还加上一个尼亚加拉大瀑布。除了帝国大厦和美国国会,著名高等学府(比如哈佛和麻省理工)也是必去的地方。中国人永远对著名学府有着谜一般的情结,很多游客都是以家庭为单位,所以家长会带小孩去看看这些著名学府,让他们好好努力学习,天天向上。同理,如果你看到美西路线上包括斯坦福,千万不要觉得惊讶。