A Letter to Rafe Esquith

•  
  • 631
  • 4
  • 2
Dear Mr. Rafe Esquith

My name is xxx, a retired teacher from Hunan Province, China. I am turning 80 years old. I have devoted my entire life to education. I love children and being with them. Inspired by you, in the last seven years, I worked with teachers and children from an elementary school (Lianyuan No2 Elementary School) in a local community. We joined together to write and perform short plays. Like you said, the kids really enjoyed rehearsing and playing. We also gained support from the students’ parents.

I am a volunteer, expecting no rewards, and I do feel the enjoyment. We have written more than fifty short plays. During this process, teachers and students wrote many articles related to these experiences. All of them have been compiled and praised by the local government. The draft will be revised and the book will be published in the near future.

I am sending you a draft of the book and some of stage photos. I hope you will like them. I also wish you would be able to reply and provides us with pictures of students rehearsing and acting with you. That would be a huge inspiration to us!

Sincerely yours!

Note: In Los Angeles, I plan to send a parcel to Rafe Esquith. My grandfather, inspired by Rafe Esquith, attempted to incorporate and merge theatrical and educational ideas within several local elementary schools during his eighties. My grandfather is going to publish a book on these experiences! He wants me to translate his letter to Rafe Esquith and send him pictures of theater-related activities from those schools to share the enjoyment.

Thank you so much!
亲爱的雷夫老师:
您好!致以诚挚的问候!
我是中国湖南省涟源市的一名退休教师,已近80岁。我一生从事教育事业。我非常热爱孩子们。在您的感召下,最近7年,我在附近的涟源二小,和是师生们一起,编演儿童短剧。正如您说的,孩子们“在排练时乐在其中,”家长们也特别支持。我是志愿者,不计任何报酬,只是从中得到一种精神安慰。我们编了五十多个短剧。编演中,教师、学生写了不少有感而发的文章,并编成了一本书,也得到了政府的赞赏。此书经修订,将公开出版发行。现寄给您一本(草稿),并寄一些剧照,希望您喜欢。我们渴望您回信,并得到您和孩子们的排练和演出照片。这样我们会受到巨大的鼓舞!

敬礼