Children Learning to Read

•  
  • 417
  • 11
  • 5
Today, I went to a lake in a suburban area. The lake’s large, but man-made. After I jogged part of the way around it, I found a lakefront bench and sat on it to rest. It was a sunny day. A gentle, cool wind blew over the lake and across my face, which was pretty relaxing. A few families were sitting on the turf, and several kids were playfully running around. Then, two kids who looked roughly 5-6 years old ran to the lakefront rail beside me, gripped the bars tightly and looked into the distance.

“What does this sign say?” the girl asked the boy, pointing at the sign fixed on the rail.

“Uh-huh, I know it,” the boy who looked a bit older than the girl said, “It says ‘Children must stay with their parents, or they’ll be sent to jail, and …’” He tapped the Chinese characters one by one, looking very solemn, as if he really knew what the words meant and was trying to teach the girl.

I couldn’t help laughing, because actually the sign said, “Caution! The lake’s deep! No fishing!” The kids spoke very fluently, but were illiterate. They wouldn’t be able to read the words until the 2nd or 3rd grades when Chinese characters are taught at elementary school.

Can English native speakers read words before school? I heard that very young English native speakers cannot always keep their grammar straight while learning to speak. Is that true?

(Revised)
今天我去一个郊区的湖边散步,湖很大,但是是人工湖。绕着湖,慢跑了一会儿。我找了一个湖边椅,然后坐下来休息。一阵凉凉的微风从湖面吹来,清风拂面,气爽神怡。有几个家庭坐在草地上,还有几个小孩在旁边追逐嬉戏。然后,有两个看起来估摸5-6岁的小孩跑到我旁边的栏杆处,手紧紧地抓着栏杆,眺望远方。

“这牌子写的是啥啊?”小女孩问男孩,手指着栏杆上的警示牌。

“嗯。我知道。”男孩看起来比女孩要大一点,他用手指一个一个字地点着,表情严肃,好像真的识字,而且在教小女孩。“这块牌子说,小孩子必须和家长待一起,不然会被抓到监狱去。“

我忍不住笑了起来。实际上,牌子上说的是,”小心水深!禁止钓鱼!“ 小孩子虽然说话很流利,但是还不识字,他们要上到小学2-3年级,才会识字。

英语母语者上学前识字吗?我听说,刚学说话的英语母语者,语法经常会犯错,这是真的吗?