(3) Going to the Gym -- Benefits

•  
  • 124
  • 7
  • 3
My original purpose of joining a fitness club was to lose weight and strengthen my muscles. However, I later learned that exercise is not the only factor. If you want to lose weight, generally speaking, you have to go on a diet. If you want to build muscle, you should eat high-protein foods, such as whey smoothies, and chicken breasts without any seasoning, which taste very bad. Want hot abs? Even if you perform lots of sit-ups, your body fat rate must be extremely low; otherwise your abs will be covered by fat and not be photogenic.

I once cut down on eating after distance running. However, I had to read books after I got home, and I found myself unable to focus my attention because of my low blood glucose levels. So what the heck! I ate whenever I felt hungry. In fact, losing weight isn’t the only benefit of working out. After going to the gym, my physical examination reports came back good, with various parameters improving markedly. Besides, working out helps to reenergize myself after a busy work day. Every time I feel tired or stressed out, I go to the gym and come out feeling refreshed. I’ve simply gotten addicted to it, which is why I stick it out. Lifting weights is also beneficial. For example, I once developed serious neck pain from a sedentary lifestyle. After working out with some dumbbells, the pain miraculously disappeared! Many people who complain of neck and back pain go to a doctor and get prescribed medication without noticing any significant change. Sometimes, you gotta be your own doctor and help yourself.

I’m not beefy at all, nor are my body fat levels very low, but I’ve benefited much from going to the gym. I also like to work out with a bunch of go-getters. I know a guy who is a physician. One time, I saw him rushing into the gym to attend an aerobic gymnastics class. He said he’d just performed an operation. He was overweight a couple of years ago, but now he's in as good of shape as a personal trainer.

[Revised]
我最初办健身卡的目的是减肥和增肌,但后来发现饮食方式也很重要。如果你要减肥,那一定要控制饮食,如果要增肌,就要吃高蛋白的食物,比如蛋白粉和难吃的水煮鸡胸(不放任何调料)。如果想要腹肌,不仅要做大量的仰卧起坐,体脂率还要惊人地低,不然肚子会把腹肌盖住。

我以前长跑后,尽量不再进食。但是我回家要看书学习,如果血糖太低根本无法集中注意力。所以,管他呢,饿了就吃。其实,运动的好吃远远不止减肥。自从勤去健身房后,我的体验报告结果都还不错,一些指标明显改善。另外,锻炼能消除工作带来的疲劳感。每当我工作之余感到身心疲惫,只要去一趟健身房锻炼一翻后,就像打了鸡血一样。现在我已经上瘾了,这也是我能坚持的原因。无氧运动也有助健康。我之前因为坐得太多,得了严重的颈椎病。自从摆弄哑铃后,颈椎疼痛奇迹般地消失了。很多人得了颈椎和腰椎病去看医生吃药,效果甚微。其实,你自己就是最好的医生。

虽然我不是什么肌肉男,体脂率也没那么低。但是通过锻炼,我还是获益颇多。同时,我喜欢和一群积极健康向上的人一起锻炼,我认识一个外科医生,有一次他急急忙忙跑来健身房参加一节有氧运动课,说是几分钟前还做了一台手术。几年前他还偏胖,现在身材和私人教练一样好了。