Northern Savior from Siberia

•  
  • 328
  • 6
  • 4
Today’s TV news said that the smog in northern China will be dispersed thanks to strong winds. People in Beijing will be able to see the blue sky again. On hearing this, I instantly realized that people in the South should be careful, and that we’d better prepare for even more severe smog. The reason is that, every winter, a strong cold current of air originating in Siberia will blow south across China.

In the South, every time we hear that a cold current’s coming, it means the weather will turn freezing cold. The temperature can drop as drastically by as much as 20 Celsius degrees in a single day. So, it's quite normal to us if, some day in the late spring, we wear short-sleeves in the morning, but down jackets in the afternoon. (In the early summer, the area along the Yangtze River is the battlefield where the cold air from Siberia clashes with the warm air from the Pacific, resulting in a whole lot of rain.)

This time, thought, things are a bit different, because what the cold current from the Siberian tundra brings will not only be cold air, but also smog from northern China. It’s easy to predict that the pall of the smog will cover the Southern cities, with poisonous particles floating around. It turns out that the cold current will actually become the savior. Some people jokingly said that it's no wonder the supreme leaders living in Beijing never make much of an effort to address the pollution, because a northern savior will always rescue them in time.

[Revised]
今天电视新闻上说,中国北方的雾霾会被一股强风吹散。北京人又可以看见蓝天了。听到这个消息,我马上意识到,南方人应该要小心了,要准备应付更为严重的雾霾了。原因是:每年冬天,俄罗斯西伯利亚将会产生寒流,然后往南吹,途径整个中国。

在南方,每次我们听说寒流要来了,就知道马上会降温,有时候温差可多达20度。所以,春天里的某天,我们上午穿短袖下午穿棉袄,也不是什么新鲜事。在初夏的时候,来自西伯利亚的寒流和来自太平洋的暖风在长江流域的上空交据,所以雨下个不停(梅雨季节)。

这一次,情况有点不一样。因为寒流不仅带来冷空气,还将带来北方的雾霾。所以不难预测,雾霾将笼罩在南方城市的上空,PM2.5微粒到处漂浮。结果,北风成了他们救星。有人开玩地说,怪不得有关部门治霾不力,原来是因为救星总是能及时到场。