Small World: the Café on the Road

•  
  • 259
  • 7
  • 4
Happy New Year! Best wishes to you all!

The other day, I learned from the media that a young Chinese lady had just finished her six-month charity work in Africa. The lady, who is from my city, came back and shared her stories with a reporter. Online, thousands of commenters praised her courage and spirit. She said that she would revisit Africa in May, 2017, and wanted to recruit several volunteers. The recruitment will be held at a café this March. After reading this news story, I didn’t especially keep this recruitment in mind, because I probably couldn’t make it.

Two days ago, a young lady called me, saying my colleague referred me to her to help her with her new travel program. She just came back from a trip to Tahiti and Fiji and wanted to lead a group to go to Christchurch in two months. She’s a tour guide as well as an artist. Every time she went to a new place, she shot and painted. To my amazement, she owns a café, where she shares her stories as well as her artworks. And, the patrons are usually her tour members!

“Where’s your café?” I asked with a great interest.

“Right at the bottom of the city’s Big Wheel. It’s called ‘On the road,’” she replied.

“Sounds familiar!” I thought, and took out my phone and looked up the news I’d mentioned at the beginning of this entry, as quickly as possible, because I wanted to make sure whether that café was the same place. I later found the news. That was it! That reported lady would hold the recruitment at the café called “On The Road!” What a small world!

I asked, “Do you know that a lady will hold an activity to enroll volunteers to go to Africa?”

“Ah… I know that lady, but I had no idea she would organize a campaign at my shop, but my café is indeed where tons of local travel lovers and artists love to gather. Would you like to come over for a cup of coffee? On the house.”

Wow! Amazing! I didn’t know there was such a fantastic place in my city!!
前几天,我看到一条新闻,说一位中国女生刚刚结束了她在非洲为期半年的慈善活动。那位女生来自我所在的城市,回来和记者分享她的所见所闻。网上有数千网友为她的精神和行为点赞。她说她2017年5月还要去非洲,想招募几名志愿者。今年三月在一个咖啡厅举办招募分享会。看完新闻后,我没有记在心上,因为我很可能没时间。

两天前,一位年轻女士给我打电话,说我一个同事向她推荐了我,要我帮她处理一下她一项新的旅程计划。她刚刚从大溪地和斐济回来,准备两个月内要去新西兰的基督城。她既是导游,又是一位艺术界人士。每次她去一个新地方,她都会摄像和画画。令我惊讶的是,她还开了一家咖啡厅,分享她的故事和作品。店里的顾客也经常是旅行团成员。

”你的咖啡厅在哪里?“我颇有兴致地问她。

”就在摩天轮下面。名字叫做”On The Road“”她回答道。

“听起来好熟悉!”我心里想,赶紧掏出手机,查我开头提到的那条新闻,因为我想确认那家咖啡厅是不是同一家地方。我找到了这条新闻,就是这个地方!那个女生要开分享会的咖啡厅就叫“On The Road!” 世界真小!

我问她“你知不知道到有一个女生要在你们店里开一个招募活动啊?组织志愿者去非洲!”

“啊,我知道那个女生。但是我不知道她会在我们店搞活动,但我的店确实是本地旅游达人和艺术家喜欢聚会的地方!你什么时候过来喝一杯咖啡啊?我买单。”

哇塞!好神奇!我以前还不知道我们这里还有一个如此奇妙的地方!