May the Force Be with You

•  
  • 545
  • 10
  • 2
Today I watched an online talk show. The host, Mr. Gao, went to the Letterman Digital Arts Center, and made this episode about Star Wars. On the show, the Golden Gate Bridge could be seen in the background, so I guess that the place is located in San Francisco. He said that he was very privileged to go there, because the former owner George Lucas usually didn’t allow strangers inside.

One of the strange things about the place is that there are no visible parking lots because they are built underground. Lucas wanted the place to be futuristic, so he thought that if the parking lots were built on the ground, they would be an eyesore. Mr. Gao showed us what the recording studios at Lucasfilm were like. He was surprised to learn that many Star Wars sound effects were actually produced using discarded junk such as bicycle chains. It’s also interesting that lightsabers don’t glimmer themselves, but will reflect the light of a camera.

The Star Wars series is very influential in the US and many other parts of the world. It’s said that, however, at the beginning, the first Star Wars movie was predicted by many franchises to be a failure, and was only shown in approximately 200 cinemas. Unexpectedly, the debut caused a sensation. The series was, purportedly, part of inspiration of the Strategic Defense Initiative, which partially led to the downfall of the USSR, because the Soviet Union desperately wanted to compete with the US in this field, but ended up wrecking its own economy.

In China, the Star Wars series is far less popular than the Marvel movies. Last year, the Chinese box office of the Star Wars movie “The Force Awakens” was much smaller than expected. Unlike in many other countries, there isn’t a Star Wars obsession in China, perhaps because China hadn’t liberalized at the time when the series was in its heyday, so there were very few people who knew of them.

(Revised)
愿原力与你同在

今天我看了一集网络脱口秀。主持人高晓松赴雷特曼电子艺术中心,制作了这集关于《星球大战》的节目。在节目中,艺术中心的远处背景是金门大桥,所以我估计中心所在地应该是旧金山。他说道,非常荣幸能够参观这个地方,因为卢卡斯不喜欢陌生人去参观。

艺术中心有一个奇怪之处是看不到停车场,全部修在地下。卢卡斯希望艺术中心有未来气息,如果把停车场建在地面,将会非常碍眼。高晓松还给观众展示了卢卡斯影业的录音棚。他很惊奇地发现,《星球大战》中的声音居然由废弃物品(比如自行车车链)模仿而来。而且,电影中的荧光剑其实不发光,但如果照相的时候开闪光,照片里面就会亮起来。

《星球大战》系列电影在美国和很多其它国家很有影响力。但据说,最开始第一部《星战》电影推出的时候,发行商们并不看好,所以首映仅在约200家影院进行。但没想到引起了轰动。《星战》系列据称也是美国“星球大战”计划灵感的一部分,该计划导致了苏联解体。因为苏联千方百计想和美国在这方面领域竞争,结果拖垮了自己的经济。

在中国,《星战》电影没有漫威电影有影响力。去年,《原理觉醒》在中国的票房成绩大不如预料。和很多国家不一样,中国没有星战情结,也许是因为正当《星战》电影火热时,中国还的改革开放程度还不太高,对外交流也不多。