#4 Los Angeles – Hollywood & Staples Center

•  
  • 359
  • 6
  • 4
On my third day in LA, I went to the Walk of Fame in Hollywood. I’m a huge fan of Hollywood movies. This street is famous in China. In Chinese, it has a particularly fancy and grandiose name: Avenue of the Stars. I heard that the film-making studios had moved out of the Walk of Fame to somewhere else in LA. When I got there, I found that the road wasn’t the amazing place it was cracked up to be. The road was narrow, and not clean. The celebrities’ names had been weathered and worn out from years of people walking over them. I made out the name of “the Beatles,” and took a photo of myself with it.

I shopped along the street to buy souvenirs to bring home as gifts for my friends. But there was a problem: most products had “made in China” markings on their back. It would be a bit odd if I took them back to China, the country where they had been produced. I even saw a theater called “Chinese Theater,” and I didn’t know why it bore this name. In spite of all this, I still think the place is worth the trip. I took it as a pilgrimage because I’m a big lover of Hollywood movies.

After visiting Hollywood, my cousin and I drove to Staples Center, home to the Los Angeles Lakers. We walked around the inside of the stadium and had a great time. The arena is downtown. I finally saw tall buildings, after staying in the city for three days. Many Chinese people tend to think that metropolises around the world are full of skyscrapers, but actually in LA this isn’t the case.

While driving, I noticed two interesting things. First, there were lots of strange-looking cars on the road. It seems like Americans really love to personalize their vehicles, with fancy colors and decorations. This is not allowed in China. Second, when locals drove next to us or tried to overtake our car, I saw that they waved and smiled at us (even through closed windows), expressing their friendliness or apologies. That was odd to me as well, because we'll never smile at strangers in China…

[Revised]
在洛杉矶的第三天,我去了星光大道。我是好莱坞电影的超级粉丝。星光大道在中国很有名,因为有一个很高大上的名字,听起来很洋气。我听说好莱坞电影公司都已经搬走了,去了洛杉矶其它地方。我到了星光大道,发现没有传说中那么好。因为街道又窄又不干净。刻在地上明星名字五角星经历了数十年的风吹雨打和路人行走摩擦,已经变得很模糊了。我找到了“披头士”乐队的名字,并合照留影。

我一路逛街,购买纪念品,打算带回国给朋友们。但是遇到一个问题,很多纪念品背后都有写“中国制造”的字样。如果我把他们带回国,有点点奇怪,因为产地就是中国。在星光大道,我还看到了“中国剧院”,虽然不知道名字后面的渊源。总之,我还是觉得星光大道值得一去,因为我是好莱坞电影的粉丝,去一趟可以当做是朝圣之旅。

去了好莱坞之后,我和我表哥去了一趟斯台普斯中心,湖人队的主场。我们在球场里逛了逛,玩得很开心。球场位于市中心,来了洛杉矶三天终于看见高楼大厦了。很多中国人通常会认为,世界上的大城市都应该到处是摩天大楼。但洛杉矶不是。

在开车的时候,我发现了两个有趣的事情。首先,一路上,有很多奇怪的车。看起来美国人特别喜欢打扮他们的车,色彩绚丽,彰显个性化。但这在中国是不允许的。第二,洛杉矶人和我并排开车的时候,或者要超车的时候,隔着车窗都能看见他们朝我们挥手微笑致意。这对我而言,也有点不适应,因为在中国,我们从来不会对陌生人笑。。。