(2-2) Imagination, Deduction and Summary -- My Mnemonic Device for Studying English Words

•  
  • 1405
  • 15
  • 4
In her article, my lang-8 friend listed 7 usages of the word "screw."

[1] Dictionary definition: short for screwdriver.
[2] Dictionary verb definition: to turn like a screw, with a rotating motion. "Screw that nail into the door."
[3] "I'm screwed!" It means everything's over. Usually the usage is very exaggerated, e.g. you didn't turn in your homework and you're going to get yelled at by your teacher.
[4] To be tricked or taken advantage of: "I was totally [screwed over] by that guy! He totally screwed me over!"
[5] To have a lot of promiscuous sex. The usage I see most commonly is: "They screwed like rabbits. "
[6] To waste time: "Stop screwing around!" When I was little, just about every primary and middle school teacher used this phrase to yell at their students.
[7] To make a mistake, to mess something up: "I really screwed up. Can I have another chance?" "If I don't do well on the SAT, it's going to screw up my future."

_______________________________

The below shows how I interpret English expressions. I enjoy being amused by the jokes I create. Yeah, you can call me a moron.

The definitions [1] and [2] are basic. The “screw” in the definition [1] is a noun and in the definition [2] is used as a verb. A rotating motion is like spinning, twisting, etc., the basic meaning from which many others derive.

With [3], I imagine a poor sap who is being twisted into wide egg noodles by someone or non-physical force such as fate. He can be mentally tortured by this force to near death. When a kid doesn't hand in his homework, he is either very scared as if the pressure is “twisting” him, or he is afraid his teacher is going to twist him into dead meat.

With [4], I imagine a guy to be a walking fruit whose essence, juice, is squeezed out by someone. The particle “over” can mean “falling to the ground” (knock over, kick over ect) or “overflowing” (boil over, spill over, etc). Putting them together, the expression can describe a person who has been taken advantage of and feels so angry that he is about to pass out and fall to the ground. Or, he has been cheated out of so much “juice” that it is brimming over the container.

With [5], I conjure up a porn scene where some people are having passionate sex, moving up and down in bed like cracking open bottles, or uncorking wine bottles like a piston motion and the like. It's a vivid description of their promiscuous sex.. #palm face#

With [6], I imagine someone moving/spinning around like a jerk who is convulsively twitching. Then, it's "fool around," which equates "screw around."

With [7], someone has something in hand very precious but brittle like bottles, then "screw" means "try to close it.” The particle “up” can mean “damaging and destroying” (tear up, smash up, etc.) The expression means try to close a bottle but end up breaking it.

When these meanings have sunk in, I don't think of the above scenes anymore. After all, imagination is just my mnemonic device.
[1]和[2]是基本释义。释义[1]作名词,释义[2]作名词。screw 像一个旋转、扭转动作,从而基于此衍生出其它的释义。

对于[3],我想象有一个倒霉鬼被人扭成麻花,或精神上被扭曲得快要挂了。比如,一个小学生没有交作业,他倍感压力,精神上受摧残,也怕老师把他扭成麻花。

对于[4],可以把某人想象成一个水果,然后扭曲榨汁。over 可以作”倒地“的意思(knock over, kick over),或者是”溢出“的意思(boil over, spill over)。所以,这个人被骗后,气得吐血,快要倒地。或者果汁被榨干了,都溢出容器了。

对于[5],可以想象出一个A片画面,里面的男优女优激情做爱,床震巨响。像男优四肢旋转,开一个女优瓶,做活塞运动。。很形象地在描述一个激情场面。(捂脸)

对于[6],可以想象一个疯癫婆,浑身抽搐,四处瞎转。所以,是到处不干正事,浪费时间的意思。

对于[7],可以想象一个人手握一个瓶子,但是太脆了,他努力打开,结果打碎了,搞砸了。 up 有”破坏的意思(tear up, smash up)。

以上就是我如何诠释英语表达的,我喜欢自娱自乐,但2B青年欢乐多嘛。一旦这些释义被我吸收后,就会被抛弃,毕竟只是帮助我记忆的工具。