Lang Lang – A Classical Music Superstar

•  
  • 549
  • 8
  • 3
Few Chinese people don’t know Lang Lang, a gifted Chinese pianist. In China, however, when most people talk about him, they tend to think that he is just a guy who excels at playing the instrument. Even a handful of other young pianists have attracted a larger amount of fans, simply because they’re better-looking than Lang Lang.

In cultured circles in the West, however, he’s apparently held in high regard as a distinguished artist. I only learned this when I once randomly googled him and was shocked to realize how highly acclaimed he is in Western countries.

Though his penchant for using over-the-top facial expressions and body movements while performing appalls his critics, his aptitude is well-recognized; he was invited to perform on many important occasions, such as the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert at Buckingham Palace, the Bastille Day Concert at the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Fourth of July Concert at the U.S. Capitol, etc., to say nothing of the fact that he has been selling out all of his recitals in major venues like Carnegie Hall, Wiener Musikverein, the Albert Hall, etc., for several years.

He isn’t one of those masters who rest on their laurels. With a serene self-regard, he knows who he truly is as an artist and he makes the most of it, collaborating with world-renowned philharmonic orchestras and maestros many a time every year. With my layman’s ear, I can feel connected to his unique and amazing interpretation of classical music. Real fireworks!

An anecdote:
The circulation of a video clip in which he plays “Stars and Stripes Forever” at the U.S. Capitol cast doubt on his nationality among some people, especially after a netizen posted a picture of an official approval document (meant for foreign nationals only) for his domestic concerts. Given his traumatized childhood, mentoring from his gurus at Curtis Institute and various commercial considerations, a possible change of his nationality – another case of brain drain- won’t be news to us.
很少有中国人不知道朗朗的名字。不过,在中国,人们谈到他,第一反应只是他弹钢琴超级厉害。甚至在国内,与他同龄的钢琴家的粉丝数量更多,因为他们比朗朗长得更帅气。但在西方国家,在古典高雅艺术领域,他确实是被广泛认可。我也是有一次无意中在谷歌搜索材料的时候,才得知这一事实。

尽管有人批评,在弹钢琴的时候,他太做作了,表情夸张,令人不悦。但他的才能是有目共睹,不容否认的。所以也不难理解他会出现在很多重大场合,比如英国女王大寿庆典,法国国庆庆典,美国国庆庆典都能看到他的表演。更不用说,他近几年各大演出门票也是分分钟售罄,演出地点包括卡耐基大厅、维也纳金色大厅,阿尔伯特大厅等等。

他也不是一个坐享其成,停滞不前的艺术家。常年和世界上著名的乐团、指挥家合作,提高技艺。即便我是个门外汉,我也觉得他的作品诠释独特到位,表演富有激情。

小八卦:
网上流传他在美国国会前弹奏《星条旗永不落》的视频,所以有人怀疑他是不是改变了国籍。有网友还晒出了一份他的演出准许公文,专门用来批准外籍人士在华演出用的。不过,考虑到他童年受过心灵创伤,在柯蒂斯音乐学院受到导师们的谆谆指导,亦或是商业方面的考虑,他要是真的改变了国籍,其实也没什么值得惊讶,中国人才流失例子海了去了。