Public Speaking Isn't An Easy Thing

•  
  • 603
  • 18
  • 3
I’m dog tired today, because I just came back from a meeting in my city's high-tech zone. It would’ve been a fun thing, if I’d been a mere attendee/listener. Not interested in the meeting, I could just fiddle with my smartphone or yawn hugely. Sadly, however, I was the speaker.

A week ago, our company was invited to give a speech for corporations/institutions in that zone. I knew it would be assigned to me when I first heard the news. It turned out it was. Since my actual job had nothing to do with this public speaking thing, I worked extra hours to prepare for this. I drafted a speech and designed PowerPoint slides and tried to beautify them.

Public speaking has been a part of my routine for nearly two years. Two years ago, after I presided over a meeting successfully, all those miserable public speaking tasks started to fall on me. Time and again, I've become an MC, a toast master, and even an advertiser. I've spoken in meeting rooms, big halls or even pubs… Sometimes, I felt like I was a pimp working for a brothel. Lol.

In graduate school, my experience as a TA honed my presentation skills, because I always tried hard to make my language witty and amusing, in order to attract and hold the attention of hundreds of students’ attention. I miss that experience, but I’ve now grown weary of speaking in public. It requires a great deal of intellectual effort, but yet my superiors seem to be unaware of that fact. Because, in hierarchical SOEs in China, writing official documents with regards to the CCP’s “great thoughts” is more appealing to these patriarchs.
今天我在高新区开了一个会,回来后累成狗。如果我只是听众,就还好。没兴趣就玩玩手机,还可以打哈欠。可惜,我不是听众,而是在台上做演讲。

一个星期以前,我们单位收到邀请,要去高新区做一个演讲。听到这个消息,我就知道肯定是要我去。果然,就是我。其实我的工作和演讲并没有什么关系,所以我还加班来准备演讲稿,制作并美化PPT。

我差不多承担公众演讲的任务有两年了。两年前,我成功地主持了一次会议,从那以后,我就包了所有的演讲任务,比如司仪,主持,有时候还要做广告。地点有会议室,大厅,甚至是酒吧。。。有时候,我都觉得我甚至是在帮我们单位拉皮条。。

在读研的时候,我曾经是助教,这也锻炼了我的口才。为了吸引学生的注意力,我要花心思让我的演讲生动有趣。我现在还蛮怀念那段时光,但现在我真是对演讲十分疲倦。其实,演讲需要花很多精力,不是一件容易的事情。但这里的领导们似乎并不知道。因为在等级森严的国企事业单位,写一些关于CCP光荣思想的公文似乎更受“老板们”的器重。