Good Friends Overseas海外存知己(3)

•  
  • 830
  • 4
  • 2
我和Peter主要是讲中文,但我有时候也会和他说英语,不过讲的是美式英语。于是,他拍拍我的肩膀,故作正经地说:“知道吗?要讲英式英语,要有修养。”所以,以后我跟他讲英语的时候,总是尽量模仿着BBC的口音。比如,在说英式英语“a bottle of water”时候,我总带有促音。幸好,我有注意过英式英语和美式英语的区别,而且能说得还行。
Peter and I mainly spoke Chinese, while sometimes I would speak English with him, American English, though. Patting on my shoulder, he said demurely, “You know what. You have to speak British English to be graceful.(refined?)” So, from then on, I tried to imitate BBC accent when I talked with him in English. For instance, I said “a bottle of water” with necessary assimilated sounds. Thanks to my knowledge of the main difference between Britsh English and American English, I did it not so awkwardly.

这里还有一段小插曲。Peter很会说中国相声,水平一流。他尤其喜欢郭德纲的相声,他问我是否也喜欢郭德纲,我不假思索地说:“我也非常喜欢他。”这是一个非常典型的“中国南方式”回答,作为一位南方人,我有时会委婉地说话,也习惯地去取悦别人。事实上,我尊重和佩服郭德纲,也偶尔会听听他的相声,但我不怎么了解他。当他接着说:“那你告诉我他的一些好听的段子,你喜欢的”,我的脸顿时红了起来。因为我根本不能说出一些具体内容,而这样又显得我不真诚,我顿时无语,不知道怎么去解释。
Here goes an anecdote. Peter was really good at Xiangsheng (a traditional art of comic dialogue) and he especially loved Guo Degang’s. He asked me whether I loved Guo Denggang as well, and I replied unthinkingly, “I also love him so much!” That was a typical southern Chinese answer; being a southerner, I tended to speak indirectly or tried to answer people’s questions in a pleasing way. In fact, I did respect Guo Degang and think highly of him; ocassionally, I would listen to some of his performances online, but I did’t know much about him. Then, he continued to say, “tell me some interesting parts of his Xiangsheng you like.” I blushed instantly because I just couldn’t recall any exact words of the performances, at all. I paused for a long while, which meant, I was “insincere” and knew little about Guo Denggang actually, and I just didn’t know how to explain that.

Notes: Guo Degang is a famous Xiangsheng artist in Beijing and is very popular among youngsters.