Good Friends Overseas 海外存知己(1)

•  
  • 545
  • 6
  • 2
现在我已经回到学校的宿舍,打开电脑写这篇日志。但这两个星期发生的事情实在让我永远难忘。两个星期前,我作为汉语桥的志愿者兼组织者,和另外7名年轻人一起,在北京的西苑饭店等待着来自全世界70多个国家120多名大学生的到来。
Now I am back in the dorm at school, and writing this post on my laptop. I will never forget what happened during this two weeks. Two weeks ago, eight volunteer organizers of Chinese Bridege Competition*, including me, waited in Xiyuan hotel, Beijing, for the arrival of over 120 college students from over seventy countries.

7月10日,120多名选手基本上全部抵达北京。于是,我们就开始了为期三天的“北京文化体验”活动。那时,北京夏天的白天温度比较高,达到了36摄氏度左右,但晚上比较凉快。比起中国南方的夏天,我更喜欢北京的。北京的太阳虽然很晒,但空气却不潮湿,只要站在阴凉的树荫下,就很凉快,衣服不会黏糊糊的。
On July 10th, the 120 competitors have almost got to Beijing, and we started the three-day-long activity- “experience Beijing’s cultures.” The day-time temperature was high at the time in the summer Beijing, reaching about 36℃, but it was nice and cool at night. I prefer the summer of Beijing to that of the southern China. Though Beijing has got a burning sun, the air is not humid. It’s much cooler to stand under trees and clothes won’t be sweaty.

120多名选手被分为ABCD4个组,我和另外一名志愿者负责C组的选手们,每天跟他们生活在一起,协助完成他们的接下来的中国之旅。第一天上午,我们一起游览了居庸关长城,这是我第二次爬长城了。有些选手很是兴奋,鼓足了干劲爬到了很远的地方,穿越了一个又一个的烽火台。但有些选手则很冷静,因为他们已经来过中国许多次了,其中还有不少人在北京留过学,所以爬长城不是什么新鲜事了。而且,北京附近的长城也不是严格意义上的古长城,而是后来重新翻建的,这也是为了游客们的安全着想。所以,要感受长城的沧桑感,就要去一些人际罕至的荒凉地带。
All the contestants were seperated into four groups- group A, B, C and D. I lead the group C with another volunteer. We all lived together, and my main task was to assist them to travel and compete in China. On the moring of Day 1, we went to the Juyongguan Great wall and that’s my sencond visit. Some members were so excited as to reach the very distant parts, going through many beacon towers. However, many people were quite calm, beacuase they had come to China many times- some of them had even studied in Beijing. So the Great Wall was not new to them. Moreover, the Great Wall near Beijing isn’t real. It’s been rebuilt to ensure tourists’ safety. If you want to see the real and old Great Wall, you may have to go to the untrodden and desolate places.

午饭过后,我们则一起去了北京的后海和胡同体验老北京文化。胡同是有北京特色的民居建筑,在如今高楼林立的北京,胡同是少有仅存的古代建筑了。我向身旁的一位匈牙利的选手感叹道,中国虽然有几千年的历史,但是现在遗留下来的古代建筑很少了,可能是因为都是木质建筑的缘故吧,现在在中国能看到的建筑都是近二三十年内修建的。他则自豪地告诉我,他来自的城市布达佩斯,是欧洲最漂亮的城市之一,有着很多古代建筑。我后来才知道,就是这个匈牙利小伙子,居然上过中国春节联欢晚会,表演过相声。
After lunch, we went to Houhai and Hutong to experience the ancient Beijing culture. Hutong is the unique residential achitecture in Beijing, which is rare in the concrete jungle. I sighed to a Hungarian contestant named Erik, “China has thousands of years of history, but it has few remained ancient architecture, perhaps because there were made of wood. The buildings you see are only twenty or thirty years old.” He replied proudly that the city Budapest where he was from was one of the most beautiful cities in Europe and it had great many ancient architectures. I later knew that the Hungarian guy had performed Xiangsheng (a traditional Chinese art of comic dialogue) on the spring festival gala before! It is the show that nearly everyone of Chinese would watch on the spring festival’s eve.

Notes: Chinese Bridge is a Chinese proficiency competition for foreign college students