A while ago, I was sorting through my bookcases.

•  
  • 68
  • 2
  • 2
A while ago, I was sorting through my bookcases. I pulled out a book written by one of my favourite authours, that is "Calmi Cuori Appassionati".
My sister once teased me asking why I could her. She found Ekuni Kaori as boring as Haruki Murakami. My sister describes their stories' feature like: In the first a few pages, a sad person's detailed life is described. Then turning 50 pages without reading through, still you can follow the story, because there is no specific story. The situation hasn't been changed and the protagonist is reluctant to resolve their problems. You can flip pages to the last of the book and you will find that the protagonist still enjoys their hell selfishly declining others' help. They just want to sink in their bog.
This feature applies to "Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami and many of Ekuni's stories. I don't know why I still like her whereas I won't spend any time for Haruki Murakami.
The book I pulled off is also so to say "a story of a sad person who is selfcontained" like one of "Norwegian Wood". A Japanese woman called Aoi lives in Milan with her American boyfriend. She spent her childhood in Italy but studied four years in Tokyo because of a longing to her roots and the Japanese culture. There, she met someone who is one and only to her. After coming back to Milan alone, her old friends are wondering why she is keeping a distance to everything. Her boyfriend loves her, however, he also feels that she has someone else in her heart. She never expects to find someone like the person whom she met in Tokyo. The previous day of her 30's birthday, she suddenly set off for Florence. She believes the duomo in Florence is for lovers. Her lover in Tokyo said that he would meet there on her 30's birthday once. She doesn't expect to see him again at all, but can't help to act to keep her word.
--Now I understand why this story has been attracting me. It's addictively sweet like chocolate.
When I went to Italy at the age of 31, I asked my companion to visit the duomo in Florence together. I thought that it would be a very romantic experience. Sadly, we weren't familiar with Western culture at all, so we didn't know that you can't enter the duomo at the week of Christmas. We only walked around it and looked up to the roof from the street. I should have checked tour guides to fulfil my wish, not only reading that book again and again.