Educated the Memoir and Far From the Tree

•  
  • 11
  • 0
  • 0
Recently, I've read two books : Educated the Memoir and Far From the Tree, which were just picked randomly from the book list recommended by my friends. The first one describe the author's experiences from grown up in a junkyard and never got to school but eventually got in college, when she were 17, and finally obtain a Phd in Cambridge, which I think is very amazing. The second, the author conduct his researches on a variety of family who faced extraordinary situation on their children, for example parents who have to raise a deaf son, parents raises the Downs, dwarf, autism, transgender child ... or even prodigies. The content is very heavy and I recommend it to all of you because this book can tell you what these extraordinary family need to face and make you become more sympathetic.
These are two very different book but I found some reminiscence of the subjects of the books to each other. Tara, the author of Educated, is extraordinary to her parent since she accept a different path from the expectation of her parents and they've become unacceptable to each other. They still love each other but they'd better be segregated or they would hurt each other. ( This kind of complicated situation won't be realized until one read the book. ) That's the subject we can find in the second book, because she is the apple that falls very far from the tree. And, in Far From the Tree, there're so many kind of love we can find in each chapter of families, some of that even makes me sad or delightful or admired...
So whether you read just one of these, or you read them all, I hope you find something you feel helpful.
  最近,我讀了兩本書:《垃圾場長大的自學人生》以及《背離親緣》。兩本我從朋友推薦的書單中隨便選的書。第一本是作者描述自己從垃圾場長大、從沒接受學校的教育,僅僅靠著自學就在十七歲上了大學最後在劍橋得到了博士學位。這令我著實佩服。而第二本,作者研究了許多與眾不同的孩子和他們的家庭所要面對的社會處境、困難。像是家中若有耳聾的孩子、唐氏症、侏儒症、自閉症、跨性別的兒童‧‧‧甚至是神童。這些內容都令我覺得沉重,但我非常推薦大家看看這本書,他詳細的敘述這些家庭會面臨的困難,而且我覺得這本書可以讓人變得更有同理心。
  這兩本書的主題雖然不同是,但我覺得我在兩本書之間看到了似曾相似的主題。泰拉(《垃圾場長大的自學人生》的作者)對她的父母而言,非常與眾不同,她背離了她父母的期待,走出自己的人生,也變得不被父母接受。雖然他們很愛彼此,但他們若是相處在同一屋簷下,可能會對彼此造成傷害。(這樣複雜的情況可能需要讀過此書才能理解)而針對這樣主題,我們可以在第二本書見到許多實例,我們看到許多家庭在面對這些與眾不同的孩子,我們可以看到許多不一樣的愛,有些令人覺得難過,有些令人覺得很替他們感到開心,有些讓我對他們感到佩服‧‧‧
  我覺得這兩本書很值得推薦,不論你讀了哪本,或兩本都讀了,希望你都能從中獲益。