The effects of tourism

•  
  • 1341
  • 0
  • 0
Jun 12, 2012 20:11 TOEFL English essay tourism culture
Tourism is becoming increasingly important as a source of revenue to many countries but its disadvantages should not br overlooked. Discuss.

These days, plenty of nations have been introducing tourism and earning a huge amount of money as a result. However, it is believed that the outcomes of commercialized tourism may cause other serious issues in the area. I fiercely agree this statement and feel that the shortcoming of tourism industry should not be ignored.

First of all, industrialized tourism may not be sustainable for the local area's economy. It is often said that due to tourism the natural environment in countries has been destroyed. The companies' priority is usually hoe much they can earn from tourism, so they exploit the unspoiled nature and build new facilities. These careless movements lead the endemic plants and animals to being under threat.

In addition to that, indigenous cultures are also threatened by tourism industries. Native cultures and customs are used as products to get tourists' attention in sightseeing spots. Because of this, indigenous people are likely to neglect the historical values of their culture. It results in the native people losing their valuable traditions.

While tourism industry often critiqued from the point of view of waiving the uniqueness out, the incomes from tourism can help preserve local cultures and nature. Some scientists point out that we can use the revenue to pass the priceless culture and environment on to the next generation.

In conclusion, the tourism as an industry has many potential harms and most of them should not be underestimated. However, there are some positive effects to local people. The most important this is that we have to analyze it properly and make the best balance between both advantages and disadvantages.