B8 – Writing Task 2.2 – Technology changed the way people interact

•  
  • 558
  • 0
  • 1

It is certainly true that the advances of technology changed the way most people interact with each other. Although this development brought some disadvantages, I would argue that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

The over-enthusiastic use of technology to interact with others has the potential to divert large amounts of free time way from face-to-face interactions. Spending a lot of time communicating via a digital medium may prevent us to communicate in a broader way, in which people can read each other in a broader sense, with body language, eye contact, intonation and so. For example, it is common to see people misunderstanding the message they received through an email because they read it based on their own intonation and pre-conceptions.

However, technology has facilitated communication in many ways. Firstly, it is cheaper and easier to contact virtually anyone in any part of the world. Secondly, it is possible to transmit the message people want to via different forms, from photos to recorded spoken messages. Finally, technology can be a complementary way of interaction. For instance, my friends and I always set up our meeting on the beach via SMS. In addition, in our group of friends, there is always one of us travelling abroad. Because of the technology we use the person who is abroad can still join the conversation we have in our on-line group.

Overall, the benefits of technology that affects interactions overweigh the disadvantages. The question is not whether this development is positive or negative, but whether people use their huge potential in a sensible and responsible way.