In some countries, young people are encouraged to work or travel fo...

•  
  • 9467
  • 1
  • 1
In some countries, young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.

VERSION 02

Nowadays, in many countries it is usual that young adults take a year out of studies before going to college, which is commonly called gap year. Although postponing the beginning of studies at university may has its drawbacks, the advantages seem to outweigh the disadvantages.

Taking time off from studies at a young age includes some risk. The main risk is that young adults may never come back to carry on studies after taking a gap year. Another reason why I believe it is dangerous, people may find difficult to readapt to a student life after a year off. Finally, students may become upset comparing themselves with the colleagues they know from high school that did not have a gap year and are graduating and working earlier. For example, my friend john took a year off from high school and at his return, he realized that his friend were already studying at university. This is one of many outcomes of the experience.
However, there are several benefits to have a gap year. First, a student who take this time earning a living or traveling to other places have a broader view of life and better emotional intelligence. Another benefit includes learning important skills that are necessary in adult life, throughout the gap year it is possible learn how to interact with different people or perseverance. For instance, my father told me that he is successful in business because he learned many skills from his bridge-year, this experience taught him how to relate to different types of people.
In conclusion, I strongly believe that a gap year should be encouraged because it as an important experience that can broaden students’ horizon. Wherever possible, the society should support the idea of sending their juvenile people to a year off from studies before university.