Some people believe that there should be fixed punishment for each ...

•  
  • 5505
  • 0
  • 1
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishment for each type of crime. Others, however argue the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment.

Discuss both these vies and five your own opinion.

VERSION 02

No one can deny that some rules are essential for living in any modern society, including criminal law. However, People have different views whether punishments for crimes should be fixed. Although clear punishments may prevent crimes, I believe that condemnation should consider other variables such as motivation and environment.

Fixed punishments could deter criminals. When outlaws are aware of how society will answer to his actions with a very strict punishment, they may think twice when they desire to commit a crime. For example, some countries in Asia adopted very strict laws which include cutting off body parts when a thief is captured stealing someone’s belongings. After that, crime has fallen precipitously. This is one of two important sides of the solution; crime prevention should consider what happens before a crime is committed.

However, I would argue that the circumstances of a crime and the criminal’s motivation should have an influence on the punishment. Stealing to feed a family could not be judge in the same way to stealing just for profit or corruption, thus it is vital to understand what motivates a crime in order to prevent the crime in a more productive way. For instance, some slum areas of Rio de Janeiro has seen a strong decrease in crime since the state occupied these areas with social programs that have improved there are population’s well-being.

Overall, a modern society must find ways for every citizen to live in compliance with its law system. Despite of the fact that fixed punishments may deter criminals, it seems that there are better ways to prevent them and punishment should take into both circumstances and motivation into account.