The diagram demonstrates both the process to silk cloth and the lif...

•  
  • 1657
  • 0
  • 1
The diagram demonstrates both the process to silk cloth and the life cycle of the most important input of this process, which is the silkworm.

The whole life cycle of the silkworm takes up to 76 days. It begins with the adult moth laying tiny eggs, after 10 days from the eggs there will be silkworm larva. These larva eat mulberry leaf during 4-6 weeks, before entering in their silk thread. There they stay between 3 and 8 days until this become a cocoon. From this moment up to 16 days a larva will metamorphose itself in a month, and then the life cycle is ready to begin again.

The process of production of silk cloth begins with the selection of the appropriate cocoon, which after that is boiled in hot water. Following this stage, it is necessary to unwind the thread which measures from 300-900 metres. Finally, the thread is twisted to create the line and then it goes to a melting pot with weave to colorize the silk.

Overall, the diagrams show that the cocoon stage of the silkworm can be used to produce silk cloth through a very simple process.