Some people say that the best way to improve public health is by increasing the number of sports facilities. Others, however, say that this would have little effect on public health and that other measures are required. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

•  
  • 1328
  • 0
  • 0
As more emphasis being attached to health, how to improve public health has become an important task for government to address. It is also difficult for different people to reach a consensus on this issue.

Some people argue that doing sports is the most efficient way to improve one's health, so for government, it is imperative to increase the number of sports facilities. For instance, public gyms, public swimming pool etc. should be built in larger numbers. Through this way, they believe, people's motivation to do sport can be stimulated - that is to say, with more access to these sports facilities, people will realise that they should do more exercise rather than lead a sedentary lifestyle.

However, others point out, in opposition to this argument, that this method will have little effect. It has been generally acknowledged that the life pace of modern society is still quickening, and most people have little time or just don't want to bother doing sports. What's more, in terms of the current number of sports facilities, there has been many public ones now in many housing estates, but the fact turns out to be that few people use them. Thus, the key point lies in how to raise their awareness of doing sports and keeping healthy, instead of increasing the number blindly. More importantly, doing sports is not the only way leading to health. There are a range of factors contributing to the health problem, including air pollution and food safety, so other measures also should be taken.

As far as I'm concerned, sports facilities are essential to keep healthy indeed, but it is not enough. To combat this task requires joint effort from authority and people themselves, and it will be a long and arduous process.