The charm of Taiwan

•  
  • 88
  • 0
  • 0
The charm of Taiwan
I lived in Taiwan from 2005 to 2009 for my business. Because I had visited there many times before residing, I knew the people there were very friendly to Japanese people. So I did not have any anxiety to live and could enjoy Taiwan life very much during the stay.

What is the attraction of Taiwan? Is it that there are many famous places such as National Palace Musium(故宮博物館), the old street of Jiufen(九份)or Shilin (士林)night market? Of course, they are a part of it. But for me, it’s the people who are always cheerful and friendly to us. In a company, president, or Laoban(老板) in Chinese, is the hardest worker. Laobans never look self-important unlike the ones in Tokyo. Walk the streets and say hello to the people, even in Japanese. They would gladly respond your greeting. Look at the parks, where residents including many aged people enjoy Taijiquan, dancing, karaoke and so on, without any hesitation.

In Japan, as the nuclear family is taken for granted, elderly people tend to be left alone at their homes. Meetings like this circle must be the most valuable occasions in the community. I hope to see a society, where everyone can talk frankly, being created.