Email to old collegue

•  
  • 401
  • 3
  • 3
  • Japanese 
大学院の時は、私の研究グループの中に日本人のポストドックがいました。 研究するのために協力しました。
When I was in graduate school, there was a Japan post-doc in my research group. We worked on the same project.

今、彼は日本の大学の講師です。
Now, he is a professor/lecturer in Japan.

長い間連絡していませんが、彼にお願いしてもらいたいです。 
I haven't written to him in quite a while (except briefly to say "hi" and that I was in Japan), but now I want to ask him a favor.

日本にある科学的な仕事に就職してみるので、彼に推薦をもらいたいです。
I'm going to try to find a scientific job in japan, so I'd like a recommendation from him.

彼は英語が上手ですが、日本語で書いて頑張りたいと思います。
He is good at English, but I want to try my best to write in Japanese.

どう書けばいいですか。  
What should I write?

******************************************

だれだれ先生、

ご無沙汰しておりますが、お元気でいらっしゃいますか。

さて、今日は、お願いがあってメールいたしました。 日本にある科学的な仕事を申し込ますので、照会先を頂いてもよろしいですか。

お返事を待っていたします。

よろしくお願いいたします。

John

*********************

Dear ???先生、

Sorry for not writing in a long time. Are you doing well?

I'm writing today because I have a favor to ask. I'm applying for a scientific job in Japan, so would it be ok if I got a reference from you.

I'll be waiting (humbly, lol) for your reply.

Thanks in advance,

John

*******************

also, I'd might follow up the formal Japanese part with less formal English giving him the latest news about me and stuff...would that be ok, or should I just keep it formal?

Also, I wrote this in a very formal style, but I'm not sure if it's too much or not. On one hand, we were friends, but not super close. And he is a professor/lecture, and I haven't talked to him for a while. On the other hand, we worked on the same project and drank a decent amount of beer together =)

Also, to be clear what I want...I just want to list his contact information on my resume....I don't need a letter or anything.