0319_(Translation Practice) Physicist Stephen Hawking, who conquered the stars, dies at 76

•  
  • 199
  • 3
  • 2
Mar 19, 2018 13:44 translation TC-to-EN
This is a practice Chinese-English translation.
Please let me know your opinions and suggestions about this translation.
I would value them highly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Source (text in the original language):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/03/18/2003689488/1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

知名的英國物理學家史蒂芬·霍金,週三早上在英國劍橋的家中過世,享壽七十六歲。終其一生,霍金試圖解開最為複雜艱深的生命之謎,自己卻同時面臨著英年早逝的可能,一輩子在死亡的陰影下孜孜矻矻地從事研究。
Well-known British physicist Stephen Hawking left the world on Wednesday at his home in Cambridge, the UK, at the age of 76. Hawking spent his whole life working on solving the secret puzzles of life, but ironically he did researches under the shadow of death due to the possibility that he might die at a young age.

霍金以令人敬畏的卓越才智,不斷探索著人類理解程度的最極限,範圍大至廣闊無垠的宇宙,小至量子力學中奇異的次分子世界。量子力學理論解釋了宇宙中最小粒子的運作模式,因此他認為,推演這個理論,將能預測時間在最初的起始點與終點各會發生什麼現象。
Hawking, with his formidable mind, constantly explored the boundaries of human knowledge, expanding it to as far as the broad and limitless universe, and also narrowing it down to the abnormal world of quantum mechanics, which explain the behaviors of tiny particles in the universe. Therefore, he thought, by calculating them human beings can understand the phenomena of the beginning and the end of time.

藉著結合量子力學以及探討空間與時間關係的廣義相對論,霍金在學術著述中聚焦於對宇宙起源以及運行規則提出解釋。
Applying quantum mechanics and general relativity, where the time and space relationship is discussed, to his study, Hawking’s academic publications provide an explanation to the origin of the universe and its behaviors.

一九七四年,霍金以三十二歲之齡當選英國皇家學會院士,成為英國聲譽最為崇高的科學研究機構中最年輕的研究者之一。五年之後,他從牛津大學遷往劍橋大學,以進一步深入研究理論天文學以及宇宙科學。翌年,霍金獲劍橋大學授予盧卡斯數學教授的頭銜,該席位是物理學者的最高榮譽,獲頒此頭銜的歷任教授還包括牛頓。
In 1974, Hawking was admitted to the Royal Society at the age of 32. He was one of the youngest researchers in this most famed scientific research institution in the UK. After 5 years, he moved from Oxford University to Cambridge University to take a step further in the field of theoretical astronomy and cosmology. Hawking was awarded the title Lucasian Professor of Mathematics. It is the greatest honor a physicist can have. New ton was also one of those professors who were awarded the honor.

霍金畢生的研究領域包含探討宇宙的起源,廣而擴及到誘人的時間旅行可能性,乃至於在太空中吞噬一切的黑洞之謎。
Hawking’s researches include a wide range of topics, from the origin of the universe and the possibility of fascinating time travel to the mystery of a black hole, which consumes everything in the unverse.

只是,霍金的非凡才智卻和身體上的衰弱形成殘酷的對比。二十一歲時,他被診斷出罹患運動神經元疾病,從此飽受病痛折磨,身體逐漸衰弱。
However, the weak body of his is a cruel contrast to his exceptional intelligence. He was diagnosed with the wasting motor neurone disease when he was 21. From then on, he suffered from the disease and gradually got weaker and weaker.

霍金大半輩子的行動都受輪椅所限制。隨著病情惡化,他被迫仰賴語音合成器來說話,並且藉由眉毛動作來進行溝通。他在二○一三年出版的回憶錄《我的簡史》中表示,這個惡疾驅使他更戮力從事學術研究,卻也造成兩次婚姻的失敗。
Most of Hawking’s life was restricted to his wheelchair. As his conditions continued to worsen, he had to rely on a voice generator and the movement of his eyebrow to communicate. His book My Brief History, published in 2013, says that the disease made him more dedicated to academic researches but also caused the failure of the two marriages in his life.

在回憶錄中,霍金提及當年第一次被診斷出罹病的感受:「我感覺這非常不公平──為什麼這疾病要發生在我的身上」。他寫道:「那時,我以為我的生命就此結束,不會再有機會實現我自認擁有的潛能。不過,從五十年後的今天看來,可以說我已經對生命感到相當滿足。」
In the book, he mentions what came across his mind when first diagnosed with the disease “I felt not fair. Why should this happen to me?” He wrote “I thought my life was over and that there would come no chances for me to contribute the potentials I thought I had. However, looking back at it now, after 50 years, I would say I felt very satisfied with my life.”

一九八八年出版的《時間簡史》,讓霍金瞬間獲得國際間的崇高聲望。《時間簡史》可說是廣獲大眾青睞的書中最為艱澀難懂的一本,卻在《星期日泰晤士報》的暢銷書排行榜上一待就是兩百三十七週。霍金說,他寫這本書的目的其實是想傳達近年來關於宇宙的新發現對自己帶來的興奮感。
A Brief History of Time, published in 1988, helped spread Hawking’s fame internationally and brought him great reputation. The book quickly got popular and also became the most inscrutable one among bestsellers, but this didn’t stop the book from staying on the Sunday Times’ list of bestsellers for 237 weeks afterwards. Hawking said he wrote the book to share his excitement that the new discoveries about the universe brought him.

「我原本的目標是想寫一本會被放在機場書架上賣的那種暢銷書。」霍金那時這麼跟記者解釋。「為了確定這本書可以讓人看得懂,我讓照顧我的護理師們都試讀過,我想他們能夠了解書中絕大部分的內容。」
“My goal was to write the type of book that would be sold well on the bookshelf in a airport.” Hawking explained to reporters. “To make sure it is understandable, nurses who take care of me have read it, and I think they understand most of the book.”