0311_(Translation Practice) Tattoos discovered on mummies after millennia under wraps

•  
  • 151
  • 0
  • 1
Mar 11, 2018 16:38 translation TC-to-EN
This is a practice Chinese-English translation.
Please let me know your opinions and suggestions about this translation.
I would value them highly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Source (text in the original language):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/03/11/2003689041
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

大英博物館在三月一日發布的新聞稿指出,研究員在兩具古代埃及木乃伊上臂,發現目前世界最古老的象徵性圖案刺青。
The British Museum said in a press release that researchers found the oldest tattoos in the world by far on the upper arms of two ancient Egyptian mummies. The tattoos comprise symbolic patterns.

其中一具男性木乃伊,上臂刺有描繪野生公牛與蠻羊的圖案,另一具女性木乃伊則被發現上臂與肩膀都刺有S型線條主題的圖形。
On one of them, which is male, the patterns on the upper arms illustrates wild bulls and sheep; The female mummy has patterns like a shape of “S” on the shoulders and also upper arms.

在自然光下,這些刺青藝術看起來就像暗沉的汙漬。然而,大英博物館與牛津大學東方研究所共同組成的研究團隊利用紅外線攝影,在二○一七年發現這些刺青。
These tattoos of art look just like dark stains in natural light, and these were discovered in 2017 using Infrared photography by a team jointly formed by the British Museum and Oxford University’s Faculty of Oriental Studies.

大英博物館的體質人類學部門策展人丹尼爾‧安托萬向路透表示:「這個發現其實提供了全新的見解,改變我們對於古代刺青用途的認知。」
安托萬解釋:「這幾個刺青位置顯眼,暗示它們設計刺在上臂與肩膀上的原因,是為了顯得特別醒目。」他也補充表示,該發現將非洲有刺青的證據往前推了一千年。
Curator of physical anthropology at the British Museum Daniel Antoine told Reuters “This discovery provided a whole new explanation and changed our understanding about the purpose of tattoos in ancient times.” He explained “these tattoos are on conspicuous areas of the bodies, implying that in fact, they intended to have tattoos there to grab attention.” He also added that the evidences to prove there were tattoos in Africa should be 1000 year older because of this discovery.

這兩具木乃伊出土於距離今日盧克索南方約四十公里(二十四英里)遠的埃及小城基波林,年代推估為西元前三三五一年到三○一七年之間,也就是埃及被第一位法老統一之前的前王朝時期。
These two mummies were unearthed in a small city Gebelein in Egypt, which is located in the south of current Luxor and about 40 kilometers far. They are estimated to date to 3315 to 3117 BC, the Predynastic period before the first pharaoh ruling the whole Egypt.

研究人員表示,這具女性木乃伊身上的刺青可能代表她的社會地位、英勇個性,或是掌握巫覡之術,而男性木乃伊身上的刺青則可能是男性氣概與力量的象徵。
在這個發現之前,考古學家普遍認為在古埃及只有女性身上會有刺青,因為從那時代留下來的文物中,只有在女性人俑上發現刺青的描繪。
The researchers said that the female mummy’s tattoos might be a symbol of her social status, her brave personality, or her witchcraft ability. On the other hand, the tattoos on the male one might represent his masculinity and power. Before this, most archaeologists thought only women had tattoos because they could only find tattoos on female terracotta of that age.

目前最古老的刺青是在一具木乃伊化的屍體上發現的幾何圖形設計,這個木乃伊被稱為”奧茨”,大約生於五千三百年前,於一九九一年在義大利境內的阿爾卑斯山區被發現,因為冰封而被完整地保存下來。
The oldest tattoo ever found is geometrical designs on a mummy called Otzi and roughly 5300 years old. It was discovered in 1991 in Alps in Italy. Having been frozen up, its conditions are very well-preserved and completed.

由安托萬與牛津大學的芮妮·傅利曼主持的這個研究,其結果已發表於三月一日出版的《考古科學期刊》。
This research led by Antoine and Oxford University’s Renee Friedman was published in the Journal of Archaeological Science on 3/1.