0407_(Translation Practice) Tearful reunion highlights plight of China’s missing children

•  
  • 127
  • 0
  • 1
Apr 8, 2018 00:33 translation TC-to-EN
This is a practice Chinese-English translation.
Please let me know your opinions and suggestions about this translation.
I would value them highly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Source (text in the original language):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/04/07/2003690811
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After searching for 24 years, a couple of parents and their lost daughter finally reunited. The dropping tears of theirs drew people’s attention to children trafficking and children missing cases in China.

In 1994, Wang Mingqing and his wife Liu Dengying from southwest Sichuan Province left the 3-year-old daughter alone at their fruit stand, and she disappeared since then without a trace.

Earlier this year, a woman living thousands of kilometers away in Jilin Province saw a drawing on the net, showing the possible current appearance of Wang’s missing daughter and also read the background story of this family. After that, she made contact with him.

After DNA paternity testing, this woman, Kang Ying, is proved to be Wang’s lost daughter. The whole family had an emotional reunion in the city of Chengdu this Tuesday.

She had never had a doubt about her origin, and she said she had lived with her adopted parents since the times of her being a child. The place is located in the same county, less than 20 kilometers away from Wang’s family.

There is no official data about the number of miss children per year right now. The specifics about her disappearance that year still remains unknown.

In May 2016, the Ministry of Public Security started an alert system, which released the relative information of 2760 missing children to the public. According to the ministry’s data, almost 2700 children on the list had been found as of 3/15.

However, it is believed that many more children are being abducted each year and trafficked to underground children adopting companies. The one-child policy in China was liberalized so that each family can have two kids after 2015, and with Chinese people’s preference for boys, the conditions led to a more severe children-trafficking problem.

Matt Friedman, a former UN regional manager of anti-trafficking in Asia, told AFP “to simplify the complicated process of adoption and to shorten the required time, the underground networks were formed by kidnapping organizations, to open a convenient back door for those parents who are willing to pay more money for adopting children.”

He said “most parents adopting children from those networks don’t know that infants they brought home were stolen from hospitals or communities.”

China is building a nation-scale DNA data base, randomly picking people and communities to join in. It analyzes their blood and saliva samples and does iris scan.

According to the Ministry, the data base’s goal is to help people find their missing parents or children.

However, the international non-governmental organization Human Rights Watch strongly criticized China government’s plan and thinks the the practice of the plan lacks “oversight, transparency or privacy protections.”