0317_(Translation Practice) The Origin of Saint Patrick’s Day

•  
  • 195
  • 1
  • 2
Mar 17, 2018 18:08 translation TC-to-EN
This is a practice Chinese-English translation.
Please let me know your opinions and suggestions about this translation.
I would value them highly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Source (text in the original language):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/03/17/2003689422
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

聖派翠克節是愛爾蘭傳統中最重要的慶祝節日之一,落在每年的三月十七日,以紀念這位愛爾蘭守護聖者的逝世。在這一天,世界各地的愛爾蘭裔都會舉行各式各樣的慶祝活動,以歡慶歷史悠久的愛爾蘭傳統文化。
Saint Patrick’s Day is one of the most important Irish traditional Festival, held on 3/17 every year in honor of the death of this guardian of Ireland. Irish descendants hold various activities to celebrate this historic traditional culture on this day,

關於聖派翠克的一生,我們今日所知不多。據說,派翠克於西元五世紀出生在羅馬帝國統治下的英格蘭。十六歲時,他被愛爾蘭的海盜擄走,輾轉成為奴隸,被帶到愛爾蘭牧羊。在山谷間和山坡上牧羊的時日裡,他學會當地的塞爾特語,也認識了原始的德魯伊教。某天晚上,聖派翠克獲得天使的警醒,指引他徒步走了兩百英里,最後在海邊找到一艘船,逃離奴隸生活。
Information about Saint Patrick’s life are very limited. It is said that he was born in the era when England was ruled by Roman Empire. When he was sixteen, he was kidnapped by pirates and sold as a slave and was forced to shepherd in Ireland. He learned the local Celtic language during the his shepherding days in the valleys and slopes of mountains, and he also got to know the ancient local religion Druid. One night, he received the guidance from an angel. Following the angel, he walked 200 miles, found a boat beside the shore and eventually freed himself from the life of a slave.

好不容易回到英格蘭上岸後,聖派翠克在荒野中步行整整二十八日,忍耐著飢餓,抵禦野獸的攻擊,最後終於回到了家,致力修習基督教。經過多年不懈的努力,他被賦予司鐸一職,便決心前往當年囚禁他六年之久的蠻荒之地──愛爾蘭,投身於當地的宣教工作。
Managing to land on England, traveling in the wild for 28 days on foot and enduring hunger and defending animals’ attacks, he finally returned to his home and started working on the study of Christianity. Years later, he was entrusted to be into the priesthood, and he decided to head back to the wild land – Ireland, where he had been trapped for six years, and to devote himself to the local missionary work.

熟稔當地語言與宗教的派翠克,是一位謙遜的傳道者,足跡踏遍愛爾蘭各地,為各種階層的人受洗。然而,他的宣教工作並不總是一帆風順。據說,聖派翠克某次差點遭到當地人的攻擊,便急中生智。從草叢中拔起一株隨處可見的三葉草,用這種植物三個葉片長在同一段莖頂端的現象,向愛爾蘭人證明基督教三位一體的概念。又有傳言,他曾經展現神蹟,把邪惡的生物全數趕進海裡。愛爾蘭當地沒有任何原生蛇類,在民俗傳說中被認為是聖派翠克當年的功勞。
Thanks to the help of his knowledge of the local language and religion, Patrick always remained modest and baptized people from all social classes, with his traces all across the whole Ireland. His missionary work wasn’t always smooth. Once almost attacked by the local, reportedly, he thought on his feet and plucked a common shamrock and used the triple leaves on the top of it to explain the idea of the holy trinity of Christianity. Some even say that he performed miracles driving all the evil creatures to the sea. In folk tales, it is his contribution that Ireland has no aboriginal snake species.

今日,人們會穿上綠色的衣服,佩戴三葉草的裝飾,以紀念聖派翠克的貢獻。在聖派翠克節這天,包括愛爾蘭以及世界各地的愛爾蘭裔社區,都會有樂團在街上或酒館裡演奏,唱著古老的民謠。
At present, people wear green clothes and decorations of shamrock to honor Saint Patrick’s contribution. On the day, bands go out and perform old folk songs on the streets or in a bar in Ireland, as well as in Irish communities around the world.