0404_(Translation Practice) Six varieties of spring tea to enjoy in season

•  
  • 213
  • 6
  • 2
Apr 4, 2018 19:47 translation TC-to-EN
This is a practice Chinese-English translation.
Please let me know your opinions and suggestions about this translation.
I would value them highly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Source (text in the original language):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/04/04/2003690605
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is spring tea?

During the period from Qingming Festival to the summer solstice (mid-March to early May), because of the moderate temperature, abundant rainfall and tea trees awaking from the slumber through fall and winter, tea leaves turn green and contain a rich aroma. For this reason, tea harvested in the spring is called spring tea, having a representative meaning of the start of a year and containing a fresh green fragrance that only belongs to the spring. The best time to enjoy spring tea is in April and May.

Varieties and origins of spring tea

Oolong tea: Fermented and roasted lightly, Oolong tea retains more original taste of tea and light floral fragrance of the leaves. One of the main varieties is Dong Ding Oolong tea, produced in Nantou County’s Lugu Township.

High-mountain tea: The feature of high-mountain tea is that the tea tree absorbs nutrients in the soil to develop its flavor, and with nutrients being different from area to area, they develop various types of tea flavors; Tea growing at middle attitude areas below 1000m tastes smoother, while tea above 1000m has a richer flavor instead. The main varieties of this type of tea are Alishan high-mountain tea and Lishan high-mountain tea.

Pouchong tea: It is said to be most authentic Taiwanese specialty. The tea is in the shape of stripes and has a bright green appearance. The essence of this tea is its aroma: the richer its aroma is, more quality it is. The main variety is Wenshan Pouchong tea grown in the north of Taiwan.

Sijichun tea: It is the most common Taiwanese tea, which is very cold resistant and has a short slumber period in the winter. It can be harvested 7-8 times a year, so it earns its name (literally meaning four-season spring tea). The main origin is Taipei’s Muzha District, Nantou’s Mingjian Township.

Tieguanyin (Iron Goddess) tea: It is derived from complicated tea making process. The appearance looks curly and dense and has bright color with a little frost-like white traces as a feature; the aroma is rich and lingers for a long time, while the tea liquor is golden and tastes strong.

Oriental Beauty tea: The tea originates only from Taiwan, also called White Tip Oolong tea or Pom-fong tea; without using pesticide during growing, the purpose is to let the tea green leafhopper bite the leaves so that the parts bitten will be oxidized make the tea leaves contain a special sweet aroma. The main origins are Hsinchu’s Beipu Township and Emei Township, and New Taipei City’s Shiding District and Pinglin District.

How to store tea leaves.

Tea leaves are mainly stored in a sealed container. The first priority is to keep them away from stink and humid environments like, for example, in a refrigerator, where it is easy for tea’s quality to be affected and which is definitely not suitable for preserving tea. Tea in general should be stored in its original canister or specially-made storage containers on the market and then be placed at room temperature and finished before the expiration date.