1203_(Translation Practice) Youth and Democracy: Vote early, Vote often _ Part 2

•  
  • 197
  • 1
  • 1
  • Traditional Chinese 
Dec 3, 2017 21:57 translation
This is a translation practice (from English to Chinese)
Please let me know your valuable opinions and suggestions about the translation.
Thanks a lot.

Source:
http://www.kekenet.com/Article/201711/533090.shtml

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The usual threshold of 18 means that young people’s first chance to vote often coincides with finishing compulsory education and leaving home.
18歲才有投票權,剛好是年輕一代結束國民教育,準備獨立的時候。

Away from their parents, they have no established voters to emulate and little connection to their new communities.
獨自生活,表示身邊缺乏有經驗的選舉人可以學習,對周遭環境也較無法感同身受。

As they move around, they may remain off the electoral roll.
年輕人可能因此沒法對選舉產生邁出第一步。

Sixteen-year-olds, by contrast, can easily be added to it and introduced to civic life at home and school.
如果從16歲反而可以輕易經由家庭和學校開始公民運動,

They can pick up the voting habit by accompanying their parents to polling stations.
可以一邊陪伴家人到投票所,一邊培養投票習慣。

In Scotland, where 16- and 17-year-olds were eligible to vote in the independence referendum in 2014, an impressive three-quarters of those who registered turned out on the day, compared with 54% of 18- to 24-year-olds.
2014年蘇格蘭的公民投票16到 17歲的年輕人有75%註冊,讓人驚訝,相比之下18至24歲只有54%。

In 2007 Austria became the only rich country where 16-year-olds could vote in all elections.
2007年奧地利是唯一16歲就具有投票權的已開發國家。

Encouragingly, turnout rates for under-18s are markedly higher than for 19- to 25-year-olds.
18歲以下投票比率遠高於19到25歲這一區間,一再顯示了其可帶來的正面效應。

Merely lowering the voting age is not enough, however.
但只有下修投票年齡是不夠的。

Youth participation in Scotland might have been still higher if more schools had helped register pupils.
蘇格蘭如果再學校幫忙申請,投票率將可以更加提高。

Governments also need to work harder at keeping electoral rolls current.
政府也應該放更多心力更新選民名冊。

Some are experimenting with automatic updates whenever a citizen notifies a public body of a change of address.
現在初步試行,只要向政府通知變更地址就會自動更新到名冊內。

Civics lessons can be improved.
現行的公民教育也還有很大的進步空間。

Courses that promote open debate and give pupils a vote in aspects of their school lives are more likely to boost political commitment later in life than those that present dry facts about the mechanics of government.
規劃相關課程從學校方面著手刺激公開辯論,並投票給支持的同學,強化參與政治的使命感,將比起現在只是冷冰冰得介紹政府運作的課程有效許多。

A lower voting age would strengthen the voice of the young and signal that their opinions matter.
年輕人的參與強調得以傳達年輕族群的心聲,顯示自己的意見同等重要。

It is they, after all, who will bear the brunt of climate change and service the debt that paid for benefits, such as pensions and health care, of today’s elderly.
畢竟是他們要面對氣候變遷的衝擊,還要負擔老人退休金和健保,負起照顧現在的大人的責任。

Voting at 16 would make it easier to initiate new citizens in civic life.
16歲投票,對於這些未來公民來說是一個機會,種下公民觀念的種子。

Above all, it would help guarantee the supply of young voters needed to preserve the vitality of democracy.
最重要的是這樣將確保年輕投票者數量,保持政府活力。

Catch them early, and they will grow into better citizens.
及早培養,年輕人才會青出於藍成為更好的社會公民。