0328_(Translation Practice) Taichung pioneers legal protection for leopard cats

•  
  • 101
  • 0
  • 1
Mar 28, 2018 18:50 translation TC-to-EN
This is a practice Chinese-English translation.
Please let me know your opinions and suggestions about this translation.
I would value them highly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Source (text in the original language):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/03/28/2003690155
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

瀕臨絕種的石虎是台灣現存唯一的原生貓科動物,估計約剩五百隻,加強保育刻不容緩;台中市政府訂定的「台中市石虎保育自治條例」草案,週一審議通過,使台中成為全國第一個將石虎保育法制化的城市。
Leopard cats, facing the danger of extinction, is the only aboriginal feline species that survive in Taiwan, estimated that there are only 500 left. The Taichung City Government initiated a draft bill “Self-Government Ordinance for Leopard Cat Protection”, which has passed the deliberation at Taichung City Council on Monday, making Taichung the first city in this country to make laws for protecting leopard cats.

台中市政府農業局表示,石虎是淺山生態系中的關鍵和指標性物種,但數量卻逐漸減少。石虎面臨的重大威脅包含路殺、人為獵捕、捕獸夾、吃下農藥殘留鼠類、野外犬貓攻擊、動物傳染病等。今年以來才短短三個月,全國就已經出現五起石虎路殺事件,數量持續減少中。
The Taichung City Government’s Agriculture Bureau said leopard cats is the key and the symbol species for the ecosystem of low elevation mountains, but the population is decreasing. They are facing serious threats like traffic killing, hunting, animal traps, eating mice that have pesticides, attacks from wild cats and dogs, animal diseases, etc. There have been 5 traffic killing cases across the nation in the first three months of this year.

本月十六日在台中市太平區頭嵙山發現一隻石虎遭捕獸夾夾傷,緊急送往農委會特有生物研究保育中心進行醫療,等痊癒後將送牠重返原棲息地。農業局呼籲民眾不要非法使用獸夾,不僅危害動物生命,也可能使他人受傷。
A leopard cat was found injured by an animal trap in Toukoshan Mountain in Taichung’s Taiping District on 3/16 and was sent to the Council of Agriculture’s Endemic Species Research Institute for treatment right away. It will be reintroduced into the original habitat once it fully recovers. The Agriculture Bureau urges people not to use animal traps illegally, which not only threatens the lives of animals but also possibly hurt people.

台中市府亦訂有危難野生動物通報救援機制,如民眾發現受傷石虎或其他野生動物,可撥打農業局專線︰(04)2527-2571或1999通報,讓野生動物儘速獲得救援。
The Taichung City Government has set up a contact number for finding wild animals in urgent situations. If finding wounded leopard cats or other wild animals, please call the hotline numbers on (04)2527-2571 or 1999 to let wild animals be rescued as fast as possible.

農業局表示,雖然台中現存的石虎數量並非最多,但台中居於石虎遷徙廊道樞紐的關鍵地位,希望從台中做起,短期先穩定石虎的數量,再進一步規劃一系列石虎保育計畫,從法律面、石虎生活環境等方向著手,以增加石虎數量。
The Agriculture Bureau said that Taichung, which doesn’t have the most leopard cats, however is a migration hub for them. Starting from Taichung, They want to stabilize the population in a short run and then make a series of plans from aspects of laws, habitat environments to increase the population.