1227_(Translation Practice) Helping Fragile Democracies: Why monitors matter_ Part 2

•  
  • 163
  • 1
  • 1
  • Traditional Chinese 
Dec 27, 2017 02:30 translation
This is a translation practice (from English to Chinese)
Please let me know your valuable opinions and suggestions about the translation.
Thanks a lot.

Source:
http://www.kekenet.com/Article/201712/534806.shtml
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The likes of Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe prefer monitors from the African Union, who in the past have endorsed suspect results (they have recently become a bit more rigorous).
一些人偏好非洲聯盟的監督如辛巴威的羅伯·穆加比,因為非洲聯盟曾接受過令人起疑的選舉結果。(雖然現在該組織運作更加謹慎了)

More ambitious places, such as Kenya and Ghana, crave the imprimatur of the European Union and respected American outfits, notably the National Democratic Institute, the International Republican Institute and the Carter Centre.
肯亞亦或是迦納等較有野心的地方則希望得到歐盟認可,且相當重視美方觀點,如美國國際民主研究院、國際共和研究所及卡特中心。

Nowadays foreign monitoring teams start to arrive a good month before the big day and stay for at least a month after it.
The outsiders help in several ways.
現今,國際監督會在選舉日一個月前抵達,選後至少再持續觀察一個月,在各方面帶來諸多益處。

They provide expertise on technology, especially concerning the registration of voters and the method of vote-counting.
同時也提供專業技術,如投票者的登記及選票計算,

Monitors also help co-ordinate “parallel vote tabulation”, whereby samples of the results from randomly selected polling stations are collected and presented quickly to prevent fraud in the later counting process.
另一方面協調同時投票所造成的混亂情況,藉由從投票所隨機抽樣,避免將來計算票數時有作弊行為。

Crucially, foreign monitors support local watchdogs who do most of the work and face the greatest risks.
關鍵的是,國際監督選擇交由當地監督單位負責大部分工作及風險。

Foreigners alone cannot ensure fair elections.
光靠國際監督的力量是不夠的,

They rely on the co-operation of local governments, to gain access to the entire process, including the voters' register.
還必須有當地政府的幫忙,才得以取得登記的選民等相關管道。

But they can raise the bar against rigging.
國際監督藉著提高標準以喝止選票操縱。

Beyond constraining the incumbents' power, their scrutiny can build popular trust in the elections—and make it easier for losers to accept defeat.
除了防止當權者權力過大,他們仔細計算選票的作風能建立大眾對選舉的信任,同時敗選者也會輸得更加心甘情願。

It is an expensive business, but worthwhile.
成本雖然昂貴,不過非常值得。

Worryingly, the Trump administration is trying to slash the State Department's budget which helps support democracy, including election monitors.
美國國務院一直都有支持民主的經費,也能夠幫助監督國際選舉,但是川普政府正著手大砍此經費,令人擔憂。

Congress is right to resist such cuts.
好在議會拒絕相關政策。

Fair elections make Africa more stable.
公平選舉提供了非洲更加穩定的環境。

Giving up on them spreads anger and poison around the world.
若漠視不管,憤怒及混亂會波及全世界。