0403_(Translation Practice) Lyft co-founder: Fatal Uber crash should have been prevented

•  
  • 166
  • 0
  • 2
Apr 3, 2018 14:40 translation TC-to-EN
This is a practice Chinese-English translation.
Please let me know your opinions and suggestions about this translation.
I would value them highly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Source (text in the original language):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/04/03/2003690542
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uber’s Technology Company’s self-driving car hit a pedestrian, causing a deadly accident. Ride hailing company Lyft Inc’s co-founder stated last Tuesday that this accident could have been prevented.

During a visit to Washington, Lyft’s co-founder John Zimmer told a small group of reporters “I am not clear about all the details, but I watched the video, and the technology and the driver could have prevented or stopped the accident earlier. I still have to claim again that I am not clear about this accident’s specifics.”

According to the police, Elaine Herzberg was walking her bike across the crosswalk on a four-lane road in the Phoenix suburb of Tempe in the evening on 3/18, and then hit by an Uber car traveling at 64km/hr. The Volvo XC90 SUV was in autonomous mode with an operator behind the wheel.

This 49 year old female’s unfortunate death has spurred social discussions about the need of more oversight for this industry and also resulted Arizona’s governor’s order to temporarily stop Uber’s self-driving vehicle testing project.

According to Zimmer, it is very important not to take shortcuts and put out a technology to the market before it is ready. He said “we should ensure all the competitors of the market will be responsible for their actions because, I say again, this technology is to bring people a safer commuting opportunity.”

At present, before self-driving vehicles hit roads, America still don’t have performance standards for them, nor do state governments and federal government have relative testing standards.

The main goal of self-driving cars is to provide better driving performance than humans’ and to reduce the number of deaths caused by car accidents. According to data provided by Zimmer, around 100 men per day are killed by car accidents in America.

“The goal of self-driving technology is to reduce the number to zero” Zimmer said “what I am worrying about is that if the release of self-driving cars was postponed one day later because of this accident, extra 100 men’s life would continue to be threatened by car accidents.”

Lyft Inc is trying to have a larger market share, but Uber is still dominating the market. However, Uber recently wasn’t peaceful regarding its internal operation because several executives faced accusations of sexual harassment, bullying employees and other concerns. They were all discharged or resigned as a result.
Lyft Inc is ambitious of branding itself as a more socially conscious company.