0326_(Translation Practice) William Lai: Solve low salaries problem by developing the economy

•  
  • 143
  • 0
  • 1
Mar 27, 2018 00:57 translation TC-to-EN
This is a practice Chinese-English translation.
Please let me know your opinions and suggestions about this translation.
I would value them highly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Source (text in the original language):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/03/20/2003689618
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

民進黨立委江永昌週二在立法院院會質詢指出,勞動部如果未於今年底前將「最低工資法草案」送到行政院,誰會負責?勞動部長許銘春答詢表示「我負責」。
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chiang Yung-chang during a question-and-answer session at the Legislative Yuan last Tuesday posed his concern about who is responsible, if the Ministry of Labor fails to submit a draft minimum wage bill to the Executive Yuan before the end of the year. Minister of Labor Hsu Ming-chun replied that the responsibility would lie with her.

行政院長賴清德則說,要解決低薪,「最低工資法」是配套之一,更重要的是發展經濟,薪資自然也會提高。
Premier William Lai said the minimum wage bill is just one of the measures to solve the problem of low salaries and that developing economy is more important for achieving salary increases.

江永昌質詢時表示,蔡總統曾提出制定「最低工資法」政見,但至今「只聞樓梯響」。之前他行文勞動部,勞動部回應希望在今年度完成草案審查。
During Chiang’s question, he stated that President Tsai Ing-wen has had the policy of the minimum wage, but it has become just talks and words without action. He had written to the ministry earlier, and it replied that the review of the bill should be done this year.

許銘春回應表示,勞動部已召開過相關會議,也蒐集各國資訊,在北、中、南、花、東辦過五場公聽會,目前勞資雙方意見仍有歧異,勞動部仍按照先前的規劃在進行中。
Hsu replied that her ministry has held meetings for it and been learning experiences from other countries. 5 public conferences has been held in the northern, central, southern and eastern regions of the country. There are still debates on this issue. The ministry is continuing working in accordance with the original plan.

國民黨立委蔣萬安質詢時,贈送書籍《做工的人》給賴清德,並詢問「勞基法」再修法細節;賴清德表示,台灣已進入知識經濟時代,現行「勞基法」是工廠時代的法律,後續請勞動部持續蒐集社會各界意見進行研究,但沒有修法時間表。
Chiang Wan-an gave a book Laborers to Lai and asked for details of amendments to the Labor Standards Act, and Lai stated that Taiwan has entered the era of knowledge economy and that the current acts are something form the previous time of labor-intensive economy. The ministry should continue collecting opinions from all social classes but haven’t had a timetable for amending the act.