0314_(Translation Practice) Nickel riding high on electric vehicles and supply shortages

•  
  • 134
  • 0
  • 1
Mar 14, 2018 01:05 translation TC-to-EN
This is a practice Chinese-English translation.
Please let me know your opinions and suggestions about this translation.
I would value them highly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Source (text in the original language):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/03/13/2003689149
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

美元走弱導致金屬價格揚升,再加上全球電動車題材發酵,電池原料需用鎳;倫敦LME鎳價從二○一五年底的低點,迄今已上漲五成,不過距離歷史高點每噸三萬美元,還有一半的路要走。
The price of Nicke on London Metal Exchange (LME) has gone 50% higher from the downturn at the end of 2015, but still is still a long way off from its historical high of 30000 USD per ton, because of the rise of metal prices due to US dollars’ decreasing value and global need for Nickel for electrical vehicles’ batteries.

專家表示,鎳是典型的落後指標,因過去幾年需求疲軟,礦商降低投資,一下子無法因應需求起飛。但也有一派說法認為,電動車的普及仍然遙遠,近期鎳價走高應屬市場資金哄抬。
According to experts, Nickel is typical case of lagging index, whose demand has been left behind for past years. Therefore, mining companies have reduced their investment, which as a result, failed to meet the current increasing needs for it. However, others consider electrical vehicles haven’t been commonly used in our everyday life and that the price just has been driven up.

倫敦LME鎳價上週二上漲百分之一點八,來到每噸一萬三千五百美元,逼近三年新高,主因中國經濟數據轉佳,用鋼需求熱絡,原料鎳的需求也提高。中國一月份新屋價格上揚,另製造業調查顯示,二月份訂單成長。
LME’s Nickel price was increase by 1.8%, to a point of 13500 USD per ton, reaching a new record high in the past 3 years, mainly because favorable economic data from China have been improving and demanded more steel and Nickel. It resulted in the increasing prices of households in January, and China’s manufacturing survey also revealed an expansion in orders in February.

全球商品經紀公司Marex Spectron表示,國際鎳價已漲了一年,目前看來還在向牛市前進。分析鎳價強勢的原因,電動車題材只能算是錦上添花,最主要還是美元疲軟;另外全球經濟復甦及工業自動化也是助力。美元指數一月底創下八十八點四三的波段低點,讓許多大宗商品都走強。
Global commodities broker Marex Spectron said that the international price of Nickel has been on the rise for a year and still in the “Bull Market”. According to analysis, electrical vehicles are just a cherry on the cake, while the weak USD value is the main reason behind the rise. In addition, the recovery of the global economy and the automation of industry are also accommodating the rise. The indexes hit the a low of 88.43 points, making many main commodities’ prices grow higher.

業界指出,從需求面來看,鎳過去一年消費量上揚,但供給面因為市況已低迷許久,礦商投資停滯,難以在短期內快速增加產量;在供不應求下,因此帶動價格高漲。
The mining industry pointed out that it is highly challenging to increase the production because of the long weak demand for Nickel and the shortage of investment from mining companies, which causing short supply of Nickel, and it drove up the price.