Tissue paper culture!

•  
  • 663
  • 3
  • 1
When I came for the first time to Japan I got really surprised about how tissue papers get inside Japanese culture!!

When I arrived at my apartment (it was empty with no furniture) I found 5 boxes of tissue paper, the owner of the apartment have bought for me. But I think to myself “what am I supposed to do with 5 boxes of tissue paper in a empty apartment???”.

Later on I realize that Japanese people used to give this kind of “gift” to show thankful or in my case to express their welcomeness. (Other common gifts are soap, washing powder, detergent …)

When I open my bank account also I received one box of tissue paper! Time to time the bank lady come to our office to bring tissue paper boxes.

My friend once rent a car and guesses what did he receive?? BINGO! A tissue paper box!!

Few weeks ago, I went to the bank to withdraw some money, when the doors open a guy come to me and said: “it’s our branch 50th anniversary and this tissue paper box is for you! Thank you so much for choose our bank!”, I didn’t have time to say thank you or anything! and there I was with a new big box of tissue paper on the way to work!

I don’t know how it is in your country… but in Brazil it’s not common give or receives tissue paper boxes. If you open an account you may receive a pen, t-shirts or caps. And the owner never gave me anything! =(

How it is in your country?
Big_en2-f94e3223819fd32ef746d2bb993ffe3d