How would you ask for directions?

•  
  • 152
  • 2
  • 2
How would you ask for the direction if you were in an unfamilier place for the first time and had no idea where you were?

I came up with this question after I read one of my friends' posts saying that irish people tend to prefer to be indirect when they want to communicate something. His post also reminded me of an experience I had during our honeymoon in L.A., which is related to this question "How would you ask for the direction?"

I'm going to share the experience in L.A. and I'd be happy if you would let me know what you think.

When my husband and I were in L.A. for our honeymoon, we mainly used trains as our transportation. And once in a while we checked a map that was on a station to make sure we were in a right way. While we were looking at a map at a station somewhere in L.A., an American woman came close to us and asked us the way to a different station. She said " Do you guys know where something station is?"

Even though I understood that she was asking for the direction, I paused a little before I actaully told her that we were stranger here becasue the way she asked us for the direction sounded really casual to me and I was a little overwhelmed by that.

I think my way of thinking and behavior is based on the experiences I've had so far in Japan, so it is very natural for me to use polite words when I'm asking someone for the direction. I would say " Excuse me, sir. Could you please tell me the way to the station" instead. However, she asked us in a way that she was talking to her friends (she sounded like that to me at least), which surprised me a lot. I'm not criticising her because I guess it's natural for them to be casual.

I've never lived in America, so I have no idea how I would be if I stayed there for a long time. Maybe I would become to prefer to be very casual because that's how Americans are in general and I might become used to it.

What do you think?