Learning the best

•  
  • 102
  • 1
  • 1
The most interesting things in learning language are details. Without them you just understand a plot. It's not my kind of things. I'm really into characters. So here I'll post intetresting materials about difficult words to understand. Today it's exasperate and frustrate.
To exasperate someone is to ask them to do something they cannot do. To frustrate someone is to ask them to do something they do not want to do.
The Latin root of the word exasperate comes from aspirate, meaning to help breath or add oxygen. The prefix ex means to take out. Therefore, exasperate originally meant to take the wind out of somebody.
Imagine you fell on the playground and got the wind knocked out of you. Does it help that your friend comes and asks, 'What's wrong?' Do you need a lecture from the teacher about swinging? You need air.
Example of compounding two words in one sentence: Parents exasperate child's low frustration level. It means parents annoy child easily because he goes mad with a little reason and can't help changing it.
God warns, 'Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.'
Img_hn_pc_bn300-3484a621094d33784ab18d6efd7f193a