It has recently been announced that a new restaurant may be built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

•  
  • 1909
  • 2
  • 1
Apr 26, 2012 00:00 essay TOEFL Japanese English
I can see both advantages and disadvantages to having a new restaurant built in our neighborhood. I'm worried about traffic and how it will affect our neighborhood. However, I think that it will benefit local business and increase appreciation for our neighborhood. Overall, I think it is a good idea.

Traffic congestion is always a concern when you build something new. Our streets are narrow, with parking on both sides. More cars traveling through the neighborhood could cause a lot of congestion. Traffic means parking problems, too. Our neighborhood has very few garages attached to the houses. Most of us depend on finding a space to park on the street. If the new restaurant is built, we'll be competing for those spaces with the restaurant's patrons. Plus, if the restaurant offers valet parking, it'll be even worse. Valet parking attendants work to grab every possible space available on the street.

I'm also concerned about the type of patrons this new restaurant will bring into our neighborhood. A family restaurant wouldn't be a problem. However, if it's going to have a bar and dancing, then there could be problems. Wouldn't the restaurant worry about rowdy customers staggering around our neighborhood in the early morning hours, looking for their cars?

I have to admit, though, there are advantages to a new restaurant. Our neighborhood could certainly use the jobs the restaurant would provide. Not only that, the money neighborhood residents would earn there would likely be spent at other neighborhood businesses. This would give a boost to those businesses and make our neighborhood more prosperous.

A new restaurant would also attract a lot of people to our neighborhood. They would be able to see what a nice area this is to live in. This might attract new residents to the neighborhood, which would be a good thing, as we've been losing residents to the suburbs the last couple of years.
There are a lot of details to consider, but all in all, I support the idea of this new restaurant in our neighborhood.