Some people believe that university students should be requires to attend classes. Other believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

•  
  • 8090
  • 2
  • 2
Apr 24, 2012 13:34 essay TOEFL Japanese English
Nowadays, it has becomes a heavily debated topic whether a student should be required to attend classes or not. Some people hold the opinion that university students should be required to attend classes. However, others disagree, and think that attendance should be optional. If I were to choose between the two positions, I would choose the latter. My arguments for this point are as follows:

I agree with the statement that going to classes should be optional for university students without reservation.

Naturally, interest is the mother of all study. When interested by a good class, you will immediately attend it without being forced to. Nevertheless, in reality not all classes are so popular and no one has interest in every class. Consequently, you should select the classes you like to attend. For example, in current universities, many excellent students almost have the record of skipping some boring and undersirable classes.

Another reason is that it contributes to building a university student's ability of learning by himself or herself. By choosing good and meaningful classes, giving up those undersirable, or studying for these classes you can not attend somehow by yourself, which it is tremendously important to modern university students. Many celebrities, such as Bill Gates, have attained success by not attending some classes when they were in university.

Admittedly, being required to attend classes has advantages of instilling disciplining within the student, but, considering most university students can discipline themselves on their own, I believe it is acceptable to agree with that going to classes should be optional for college or university students.