Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

•  
  • 5087
  • 1
  • 1
Apr 24, 2012 13:27 essay TOEFL Japanese English
Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. By visiting museums, one can learn as much as possible about those places one visits in a short time.

First of all, one can learn about the history of the places in museums. Today, almost every town in the world has realized the importance of setting up their own museums to exhibit historic items which belong to their past. When we visit a new place, we can learn almost everything we need about its history in the museums. During my last summer vacation, several classmates and I traveled to the city of Taian. At the foot of Mount Tai was located a museum about general Feng Yuxing. After visiting it, we learnt a lot about Mr. Feng and what he did for the local people. The people respected him, and so did we.

Second, visiting museums provides information about local culture. After a long exhausting journey, it is a good thing to sit in the museum theater watching a performance about local culture. When we travel to a new place, especially for a limited period of time when one cannot go everywhere, to get as much information as possible about local culture we visit museums.
In addtion, visiting museums gives us a good chance to make new friends. Surely, there are a lot of people who visit museums like us. We can chat with them about what we see and what we hear. At the end of our visit, we can sit together to have a cup of coffee and become good friends.

To sum up, more and more people visit museums when they travel to new places because they want to derive more pleasure from their journey.