Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students' sports activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

•  
  • 1025
  • 3
  • 1
Apr 24, 2012 13:26 essay TOEFL Japanese English
From my point of view, sports activities are as important as, if not more important than, good libraries. So it is wise for universities to give the same amount of money to their students' sports activities as they give their university libraries. There are numerous reasons for this and I would explore some important ones here.

First, good health is a prerequisite for future success. Universities are not only places for students to expand their minds, but also a place for students to build their bodies. Good health is very essential for one's study and future success. In our university, there are several middle-aged teachers and researchers who suffer from disease, some even died when they were still at the peak of their academic achievements. This is a great loss for their families and our university.
Second, through sports activities, student can benefit both physically and mentally. Anyone who has played a football game knows that cooperation and competition are important for success. They are two basic traits for those who want to succeed, and students who can combine them harmoniously have better chances of success in the future.

Third, investment in sports activities can save money in the long run. In China, all students medical expenses are patronized by the government and this is a heavy burden. If the students' health were to improve, a lot of money can be saved every year. With this money, universities can build more classrooms, laboratories and libraries.

Of course, good libraries are also important for a university. A good library with its large collection of books is the pride and symbol of a prominent university. Both libraries and sports activities are indispensable for university, so it is wise for universities to give the same amount of money to their student activities as they give to their libraries.